Applying through marriage at current consulate then moving

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
todopasa

Applying through marriage at current consulate then moving

Postby todopasa » 03 Aug 2011, 16:19

Hi,

First of, I just registered but I’ve been reading and finding information on this forum for a long time….. I even feel like I know some of the posters for life. You have been tremendously helpful without knowing it .

My wife got her Italian citizenship trough the Houston consulate and we received hers and my kids birth certs from the commune last week.

This site has a lot to do with our success, so I want to say……THANK YOU!!!...... to all of you.

I now have a question I can’t find an answer for. I’m getting all docs to apply through marriage, but we’re planning on moving to Italy before the 2 years period that technically takes Rome to approve the petition. Will that be a problem? …. I don’t want to waste time, and I’ve heard that if I apply in Italy I have to wait 6 months… so the idea is applying here and then moving.

Please let me know what you think.

Once again …. THANK YOU!!! ………. You guys are awesome.

Jose

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Applying through marriage at current consulate then movi

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Aug 2011, 23:29

Not an answer to your question, but something for you to consider:

Even as a non-citizen, you would be (except in the strangest of cases) guaranteed the right to reside and work in Italy so long as your wife and/or children are there.

There may in fact be certain benefits to you not becoming an Italian citizen, or at least, not rushing into it. This exact situation has been discussed before on the ExpatsInItaly boards; you may want to take a look over there for more info. http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/index.php
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

todopasa

Postby todopasa » 03 Aug 2011, 23:53

I will try to find some info there…… but I can’t imagine, not being Italian in Italy would be more “beneficial”….. wow.

Thanks for the response.

Jose

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 04 Aug 2011, 08:35

Just want to agree with Carmine that there is probably more information available on expatsinitaly.com as there are several posters who have successfully applied for citizenship by marriage. In general, I think that the time frames for processing your application vary if applying within Italy compared to applying from outside. There is a set time-frame that you must follow as well so make sure you know exactly when you have to do certain things so that you don't miss out. I also believe that there is a requirement for you to have a visa to accompany your spouse to Italy, so best to check with your local consulate about that. Good luck with your move! :) (If you can read Italian, there is plenty of info on tuttostranieri.it.)

todopasa

Postby todopasa » 04 Aug 2011, 17:08

Thank you!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”