Jure Sanguinis Process Advice - NY, Boston, LA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Jure Sanguinis Process Advice - NY, Boston, LA

Postby lisahickey » 08 Aug 2011, 19:34

My husband's family (aunt, mother, cousin, brother, sister, husband himself) are all interested in obtaining citizenship through their Grandfather (great-grand for kids). Based on requirements, this should be no problem - I'm organizing everything (collecting docs, figuring out process, etc.) for everyone, and am finding myself to be confused. Things are complicated by the fact that people live in Boston, NY and LA. I have a few questions:

1) Based on information from this board, I was under the impression that the mother and aunt need to first submit the applications, and that then the children (all of whom are over 30) might then be able to just get citizenship from their mothers. Does this seem to be correct? Even if the second part isn't true, does it make sense for mothers to first go through process?

2) Husband's mother is in Boston, Aunt is in NY. Most documents are from NYC or CT - someone told me these will all need to be translated and approved by the NYC consulate. Is this the case? Is there a way to get that done without having to wait a year to get the appointment for the aunt, so that the Boston woman can get her application moving sooner?

3) I am in the process of gathering almost all of the documents - the only thing I am having trouble understanding what to do about is the Certificate of Naturalization. We have the original, and the Boston Consulate told me that they would be happy to photocopy the original and return it to us, but I am not sure that this is the case for NYC? If not, what is the process for getting a copy of the correct form of the Certificate of Naturalization for NYC? We don't want to give up the original unless we are SURE to get it back.

4) I am confused about apostille and translation - what needs to have the apostille and be translated? All documents from the States? What is the process for getting this done? I've tried to figure it out from the boards, but am hoping someone can just lay it all out step by step.

5) The person who lives in LA is interested in getting his citizenship most quickly - he is the son of the woman who lives in Boston, so if she could get things moving fast, then he could wait, but if not, what information does anyone have about the process for doing this in LA?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Jure Sanguinis Process Advice - NY, Boston, LA

Postby Rodio » 12 Aug 2011, 21:25

Hi Lisa--Hopefully I can give some insight to your questions:

1) I have also seen instances where parents who wish to be recognized are required to apply first, then their children "piggyback" off of their parents' successful recognition. In your case, perhaps the best thing to do in my opinion would be to have your mother-in-law apply first in Boston, her sister piggyback off her application in NY, and then the children apply where they live. If you and your husband live in the Boston consulate's jurisdiction, then he can also apply with his mother at the same time (or at least should be able to; the consulates can vary somewhat with their procedures, check with Boston about this if this scenario works for you).

2) As far as I know, when documents are submitted at a consulate, those documents from other consular jurisdictions are certified after submission, by the consulate. I applied in LA, and had documents from PA, and the LA consulate took care of certifying those documents after I applied; I did not have to do this. Again, things may be different in Boston, I am not sure.

3) I have not heard of any consulate requiring an original Naturalization Certificate to be kept with the application, they only require you to bring it in to the interview, and keep a copy of it in the application file.

4) Documents that need to be apostilled are those originating outside of Italy, pertaining to the Italian line of ascendants (such as GF's marriage cert if in US, death cert., your mother-in-law's bierh, marriage cert, your husband's birth and marriage cert) in your case, I assume all are from the US. Of course the aunt's birth and marriage certs will be needed if she piggybacks on your application in NY, etc.

To get an Apostille: Once you get the official copy of a record, you then send it with a request, fees to the office of the Secretary of State of the state that issued the document, e.g. for documents from CT see: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3132&q=395696.

Translations are done for those documents requiring an apostille. Some consulates want you to use an approved translator from a list on the consular website, most of the time you can use some other qualified person. You could even have them done by yourself or a family member/friend who knows Italian. Many people have used Gabriella Einaga, with great reviews, her email is gabriella_einaga@att.net.

5) For the person in LA, probably they would have to wait until the mother is recognized in Boston, but you could always try to contact LA and get an answer. Most consulates are extremely busy with jure sanguinis requests, and it can be difficult to get someone to talk to about this, and you may get conflicting answers. Unless that person is planning on living in Italy or the EU in the near future, I'd go through Boston first, and then piggyback in the future.

Best of luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”