italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Antonette

italian citizenship

Postby Antonette » 09 Aug 2011, 08:21

I just have a few questions . Both of my grandparents from my fathers side were born in italy....grandfather immigrated to usa in 1909 and grandmother in 1912. I do have my grandmothers italian passport and papers from her passage here into the usa through ellis island. I dont think either became naturalized however i am not sure...if not can i apply for the dual citizenship?

Thank you for all your help in advance,
Antonette

mler
Master
Master

Re: italian citizenship

Postby mler » 09 Aug 2011, 15:35

You may well qualify, but you are missing critical information. Since your father was likely born before 1948, your grandfather's citizenship status is important. If he never naturalized OR if he naturalized after your father was born, you are most certainly eligible.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 09 Aug 2011, 15:45

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

cptrios

Postby cptrios » 09 Aug 2011, 18:58

Quick question to piggyback on here: do document translations need to be certified or notarized in any way? I have several Italian friends who'd be happy to do this for me for free, but they'd obviously not be "official." It'd be much better than paying the $500 it would probably end up costing for all of those translations!

Antonette

Postby Antonette » 09 Aug 2011, 19:35

ah ok I think I do qualify then...my father was born in USA in 1917...I have located a 1930 census with my grandfather listed as par/Italy E37-1-147 1909A imm...so if I am not mistaken that means as of 1930 he was not naturalized correct?

Thank you,
Antonette

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 09 Aug 2011, 22:58

Regarding translations. I submitted my own translations (with my husband's assistance). I also submitted a notarized statement stating that the translations were done by me and were complete and accurate. Translation templates and accompanying letters are posted at http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

Antonette, I'm not sure what that numbered information means. Take a look at the citizenship box. NA means naturalized; PA means preliminary papers submitted; AL means alien.

If he did not naturalize, it looks good for you. However, you have your work cut out for you. Proving that your grandfather never naturalized to the satisfaction of the consulate is sometimes daunting. You will need to obtain statements of "no record found" from the USCIS, NARA, and the county in which your grandfather held residence. You may also be required to supply a certified census record from 1920 and/or 1930 indicating that your grandfather was an alien at the time the census was taken. The certified census can be obtained through your local NARA office.

If your grandfather did naturalize after your father was born, it makes things easier. All you need then is proof of that naturalization.

Where will you be applying? Some consulates make things more difficult than others.

Antonette

Postby Antonette » 10 Aug 2011, 05:36

i'm in new york state so I would think new york city would be closest to me. I have a copy of the 1930 census and it has AL written by both my grandmother and grandfathers namesMy grandfather died in 1932 so if he did naturalize it would have been in those 2 years. I know my grandmother was born in Realmonte...grandfather im not so sure. And wouldn't it figure i have more information on her than him lol.

Thank you,
Antonette

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 10 Aug 2011, 13:02

Unfortunately, you cannot use your grandmother's line because of the 1948 rule. Woman were not permitted to pass on Italian citizenship to their children before that date.

Since your grandfather died in 1932, it's probably safe to assume that he did not naturalize. Had he begun the process in 1930, there would have been a PA notation on the census.

The census is a good first document. Ask NARA to send you a certified copy of the census and to do a naturalization search for your grandfather. Their "no record" letter is one of the documents you will need. You should also begin a USCIS search of the national records. This is also required. Then, too, you will need to check for naturalization within the county court system. All of this is a bit time consuming, so begin as soon as you can.

Check the marriage and death records for your grandparents. They may supply some clues to your grandfather's birthplace.

I know little about the process of applying through a "no-record" application, but others on this forum may be able to help. If you supply more detailed information about your grandfather, in the genealogy section of the this forum, someone here may be able to identify his comune of birth. The forum members are remarkably adept at finding background information.

NY is a particularly difficult consulate with which to work, but you are only tracing back through two generations, and that should make things a bit easier.

BTW, you do not mention your mother's line. Is there a possibility there that might be easier? I am thinking of a GGF-GF-M line. This would work if your GGF never naturalized or naturalized after your GF's birth and you were born in 1948 or later.

You may wish to schedule an appointment with the NY Consulate as well. There is a long wait, during which time you can work on obtaining documents, apostilles and translations.

Best of luck.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Aug 2011, 15:57

Antonette wrote:...
I know my grandmother was born in Realmonte...grandfather im not so sure. And wouldn't it figure i have more information on her than him lol.

Thank you,
Antonette

If you would care to share their names and year of birth, there is an excellent chance that one of us will be able to locate the original passenger manifest(s) for their immigration to the US. Most manifests dated after 1905'ish have a clear indication of place of birth for the immigrant.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Antonette

Postby Antonette » 11 Aug 2011, 06:46

antonio burgio birthdate aug 11, 1875 imm...1909
francesca burgio birthdate oct 24, 1882 imm 1912 maiden name tuttolomondo

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 12 Aug 2011, 13:56

Antonetta, you may get a quicker response if your post your information in the "Italian Genealogy" section of this forum.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Aug 2011, 15:14

Antonio?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Antonio Burgio Name: Antonio Burgio
County: Orleans
State: New York
Birth Date: 11 Aug 1875
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1818705
DraftBoard: 0

Here is a blank card:

See this http://friendsnas.org/pdf_files/military/WWIDraftRequest.pdf for information on ordering a (most likely) better copy directly from the National Archives for just $5.00. Related thread http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic15686.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Aug 2011, 15:24

I know you have the 1930 census; do you also have the 1920? If not, here it is. Note that there are several Burgio families on this one sheet - relatives, I presume.

1920 United States Federal Census about Francis Burgo
Name: Francis Burgo
[Francis Burgio]
[Francis Buago??]
Home in 1920: Albion, Orleans, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Tony Burgo
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of immigration: 1912
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Tony Burgo 44
Francis Burgo 35
Gasper Burgo 12
Josephine Burgo 6
Jennie Burgo 4
Tony Burgo 3
Joe Burgo 0 [8/12] (means 8 months)

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Aug 2011, 15:35

Francesa and son Gaspare 1912 manifest, lines 28 and 29:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Gaspare Burgiô
Name: Gaspare Burgiô
Arrival Date: 8 May 1912
Birth Year: abt 1909
Birth Location: Girgenti, Italy
Birth Location Other: bealmonte
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: America

Sheet 1:

Sheet 2:
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Aug 2011, 13:28

Antonio Burgio's passenger manifest is proving to be well hidden...
Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”