Citizenship: Minors, Intention vs. Naturalization, Spellings

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ltag

Citizenship: Minors, Intention vs. Naturalization, Spellings

Postby ltag » 09 Aug 2011, 22:51

Hello, I am a US citizen and have been gathering documents tracing (currently) one line in an attempt to get Italian citizenship through jure sanguinis:

GGF > GM > M > Me

This is a New York City-based search.

My grandmother was born in the US in 1926. My great-grandfather filed a Declaration of Intention to naturalize in 1922, but did not naturalize until 1927. In these forums, I read that the naturalization is the date that matters, but I am still concerned about this especially that my grandmother was born in the mean time. Does her minor status and these dates disrupt the line?

I am the one interested in applying, and I am a legal adult, but I have two minor siblings, would they have any eligibility to be recognized along with my application via my mother?

Lastly, like many Italians, my GGF's name changed throughout documents -- Anthony/Antonio/Antonino -- and he also forgot his birthdate. Would I need to request corrections to be made for these US documents? Would the name be overlooked but not the birthdate?

Thank you very much for your help!

mler
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship: Minors, Intention vs. Naturalization, Spell

Postby mler » 10 Aug 2011, 04:01

Your gm was unaffected by your ggf's naturalization. She was born while her father was still an Italian citizen, and since she was born in the US, his naturalization after her birth did not affect her. If your mother was born in 1948 or later, you qualify.

The name discrepancies do not seem significant, but you may need to amend documents so that the birthdates match up. Are you applying in NY? If so, you will need to be particularly diligent about correcting inaccuracies.

ltag

Re: Citizenship: Minors, Intention vs. Naturalization, Spell

Postby ltag » 14 Aug 2011, 02:46

Yes, I'm applying through New York. Thank you for your help!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”