New to Jure Sanguinis with lots of ?s

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lombardo85

New to Jure Sanguinis with lots of ?s

Post by lombardo85 »

So I just started the jure sanguinis process (me>father>grandmother>greatgrandfather born in Villalba, Sicily) and am a bit overwhelmed with information of how to go about the process. I have a few questions and I was hoping that someone might be able to help me.

1. My 2 sisters would like to get citizenship as well. From looking back over other posts, it seems like we can get 3 appointments in a row to submit our applications. Is this correct? How can we guarantee that our appointments are back to back? Also, we all live in different states and in a year, who knows what anyone's availability will be. If we all can't be at the appointment on the same day, can they apply after me using the same documents?

2. I live in New York City and that's where my and my parents' documents where issued. My grandparents and great-grandparents documents were issued in Trenton. Should I apply through the Newark or NYC consulate. Is one better/easier to deal with? Do either of them translate the documents for you?

3. My great grandparents used anglicized first names and somehow the final "o" in their last name changed to an "a." I know I'll have to fix these discrepancies but I'm not sure of the process. The changes will likely be need to be noted on death certificates and my grandmother's birth certificates. Can anyone elaborate on the process of fixing it?

4.Is there anyway to meet with anyone in the NY/NJ to go over my application before I go to the consulate to make sure I won't get rejected? What happens if something is missing from or wrong in your application?

5. Does anyone have any experience requesting certificates from Villalba, Sicily? Any advice on how to go about it?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: New to Jure Sanguinis with lots of ?s

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I hate to ask, but can you confirm that your father was born on or after January 1, 1948?

If he was born prior to that date, then you may have a major roadblock as he would not have been able to inherit Italian citizenship from his mother.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Yes, you will have to amend those documents, and Carmine asks an important question. If your dad was born after 1948 AND your ggf did not naturalize before your gm was born, you and your sister qualify.

There are other complications, however.

You cannot just apply where you would like to apply. You must apply at the consulate that serves the jurisdiction in which you hold residence. For you, that sounds like NY. NY also serves Connecticut, so if one of your sisters lives there, you can both apply together. The Newark Consulate serves northern and parts of central NJ. Southern NJ is served by the Philadelphia consulate.

If there is no great need for immediate citizenship recognition, it would probably be best for the application to be made at the consulate that is most flexible. That will probably NOT be NY. Once citizenship has been recognized for one sibling, the family documents will be registered at the ancestral comune and it may well be possible for the other consulate(s) to simply reference the file. Once you make that appointment, be sure to be available for it. You may have to wait a year or longer for another one.

You will have to supply your own translations. You can use one of the many translators available (on this board or through consular recommendations) or you can do your own. Translation templates for many NYC documents are located in the template section of http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

The procedure for amending documents varies depending on the municipality that issued the original.

It used to be possible to have a pre-appointment meeting with a consular official; they don't do it now because they are too busy. In any case, a pre-appointment visit is unlikely to be too helpful. I had one in NY in March, and the requirements I was told about then were a bit different when I applied in August--with the same consular official. Get the documents you need; amend what you can; then keep your fingers crossed.

Best of luck.
lombardo85

Post by lombardo85 »

Thanks for the advice - I have confirmed that we qualify (ggf never naturalized, father born in 50s). That was step 1 so as step 2, I'm looking ahead for other potential complications. I'm sure there will be many :)