Discrepancies in Names - how to address?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Posts: 64
Joined: 08 Aug 2011, 19:22

Discrepancies in Names - how to address?

Postby lisahickey » 15 Aug 2011, 22:46

I am in the process of gathering all forms for my mother in law and husband to apply for citizenship and notice that although my mother in law does not have a middle name on her birth certificate, she has listed one on her marriage certificate and on my husband's birth certificate. This middle name is actually her confirmation name. Do I need to get documents amended, and if so, which ones? Her birth certificate or the other docs? Or is there some sort of church record of her taking this name that I could submit instead? I'm not Catholic, so I am not clear on how formal the process of getting a confirmation name is. Thanks!

User avatar
Posts: 1627
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Discrepancies in Names - how to address?

Postby mler » 16 Aug 2011, 01:02

In order for me to get my given name amended on my birth certificate, I was required to legally change my name. It is an easy process, but it will cost approximately $250.

A less expensive alternative would be to amend your husband's birth certificate to conform to his mother's. I did this as well, and all I needed was my father's birth certificate to make the change.

Unless your consulate is being really picky, you may not need to change the marriage document.

BTW, my amendments were made in NYC. Check the procedure for amendments in your jurisdiction, and choose whichever is easier and less costly.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest