Confused about naturalization records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Confused about naturalization records

Postby lorinigro » 16 Aug 2011, 18:12

I'm so lost in regards to requesting my GGF's naturalization papers. My aunt had a copy of them, so I have his petition number and his declaration of intent number. He naturalized in 1928 in Brooklyn, NY. I'm not sure of which type of request I should complete through USCIS or if I should try to obtain a copy from the Supreme Court of Kings County. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Confused about naturalization records

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Aug 2011, 18:26

lorinigro wrote:I'm so lost in regards to requesting my GGF's naturalization papers. My aunt had a copy of them, so I have his petition number and his declaration of intent number. He naturalized in 1928 in Brooklyn, NY. I'm not sure of which type of request I should complete through USCIS or if I should try to obtain a copy from the Supreme Court of Kings County. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Do you have the actual certificate of naturalization? If so, you can just bring that along to your consulate meeting and they will examine it, take a photocopy, and immediately return the original to you.

Otherwise...

Look on the back of the petition (sometimes a separate sheet) for the "Oath of Allegiance" section. Is it completed and signed by your GFF and a judge or court clerk? If so, you should find the actual naturalization certificate number written in there as well. Now, go here https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/ and go directly to "Request a specific file by file number in a Record Request without Request Case ID". Fill in the order form and when you get to the part about which records, choose "C-File". When entering the certificate number (as noted above), put the letter "C" in front of the 7-digit number.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Confused about naturalization records

Postby lorinigro » 17 Aug 2011, 17:31

Thank you so much Carmine!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”