Italian Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Italian Citizenship?

Postby lilbees » 23 Aug 2011, 14:08

Just a thought this morning in reading the postings in this section. How glad I am that I am not applying for Italian Citizenship. Of course that would be nice to have if I ever traveled to Italy but, with documenting my ancestors it would be almost impossible to obtain that. Have yet to locate my own grandfather's birth record which could be anywhere from Italy itself, Sicily and Tunisia. I have all the family going back to the early 1700s. Aunts, uncles, cousins, GGGGGF. I do believe the records are all correct. But, for those who came to the U.S., the records are a mess. Wrong spelling of names, wrong birthdates, cemetery records incorrect, wrong death dates. Since I have been dealing with very old records here in the U.S. the families I have made contact with just don't know that much of the information they have is wrong. Dealing with New York,New Jersey and Pennsylvania has been a nightmare. They don't seem to find anything but continue to charge a bunch for "no record found". As it turns out I eventually found the records but they do not offer any refunds for money spent. In the case of New York, a family member went and reviewed films in the Archives and found most of what we had been requesting. The staff, with no apologies or offers of refunds, produced the found records and charged for them once again.

For family members documents, i.e., census, draft registrations, naturalization papers have at one time or another contained all the errors you can think of, especially wrong birthdates given by that person. I really do believe our ancestors, as discussed in other postings in this Forum, did not know too much about their birth dates, death dates, etc. So just seemed to make a guess and their families celebrated these incorrect dates over 50 or 60 years without knowing.

I try very hard to make sure I have documentation to support the names, dates and places that I record for my family. This has also helped me to connect to others who did not know they were part of my greater family. What an exciting experience to get to know them.

Thanks for letting me vent today. :lol:

Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”