Citizenship and serving in WWI?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aroberts

Citizenship and serving in WWI?

Postby aroberts » 25 Aug 2011, 18:02

My g-g-grandfather Sabatino DiFalco was born in Ohio, but served in the Italian army during WWI. I don't know much about this, but I am wondering how it was possible since he was born in the US? His parents were both born in Italy as I understand it.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship and serving in WWI?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Aug 2011, 18:28

Do you know with absolute certainty that this info is correct?

Nearly everyone active here can tell of one or more cherished family oral histories which has turned out to be from mildly to wildly inaccurate. :)

If you can share some additional info, we may be able to find relevant records. Parent's names and approximate birth years? Sabatino's birth year?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Aug 2011, 18:44

Any chance this is your Sabatino?

Aged 22, traveling with brother Loreto (16), leaving behind mother Lucia in Carovilli (Provincia di Isernia, Regione di Molise, Southern Italy), final destination Wellsville, OH to meet up with father Michele.

Sabatino's place of birth is given as Youngstown, OH and Loreto's as Wellsville (last column on sheet 2), yet both are listed as Nationality = Italian. There could be a number of reasons for this; for example, if they went to Italy early in life and their births were registered there, they would have been considered Italian citizens and Sabatino would have been called for military service at age 20 regardless of whether or not there was a war at the time. He may even have volunteered and thus gained Italian citizenship in that manner (though that would not explain Loreto's citizenship).

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 about Sabatino Difalco
Name: Sabatino Difalco
Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1923
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Colombo
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Michele
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Youngstown, Ohio

Lines 5 & 6, sheet 1:

Sheet 2:
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Aug 2011, 19:07

The notations on the manifest are difficult to make out; I might be seeing "Claims USC (United States Citizen?) - No Proof".

If this is the case and Sabatino and Loreto did not have proof of their Ohio births with them when they went to Italy (presumably with their mother, Lucia), then Sabatino might have been drafted into the war on Italy's side because he could not prove that he was a foreign citizen.
Carmine

aroberts

Postby aroberts » 25 Aug 2011, 19:08

johnnyonthespot wrote:Any chance this is your Sabatino?

Aged 22, traveling with brother Loreto (16), leaving behind mother Lucia in Carovilli (Provincia di Isernia, Regione di Molise, Southern Italy), final destination Wellsville, OH to meet up with father Michele.

Sabatino's place of birth is given as Youngstown, OH and Loreto's as Wellsville (last column on sheet 2), yet both are listed as Nationality = Italian. There could be a number of reasons for this; for example, if they went to Italy early in life and their births were registered there, they would have been considered Italian citizens and Sabatino would have been called for military service at age 20 regardless of whether or not there was a war at the time. He may even have volunteered and thus gained Italian citizenship in that manner (though that would not explain Loreto's citizenship).

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 about Sabatino Difalco
Name: Sabatino Difalco
Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1923
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Colombo
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Michele
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Youngstown, Ohio

Lines 5 & 6, sheet 1:

Sheet 2:

This is the Sabatino I was referring to. Thanks for the information. It is so hard to find out the particulars of things when no one knows exactly what happened!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Aug 2011, 19:11

We cross-posted by a few seconds. If you haven't already, see my post above concerning Saatino and Loreto's citizenship status.
Carmine

aroberts

Postby aroberts » 25 Aug 2011, 19:30

johnnyonthespot wrote:The notations on the manifest are difficult to make out; I might be seeing "Claims USC (United States Citizen?) - No Proof".

If this is the case and Sabatino and Loreto did not have proof of their Ohio births with them when they went to Italy (presumably with their mother, Lucia), then Sabatino might have been drafted into the war on Italy's side because he could not prove that he was a foreign citizen.

Thanks for pointing that out! I never noticed that before as it is so hard to see what is written on the manifest. That would explain a lot if this is the case. Do you know what kind of information would I need to obtain military records from Italy?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Aug 2011, 19:56

Check your PM's
Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”