USCIS index search for American born ancestor?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

USCIS index search for American born ancestor?

Postby RussoTiesi » 29 Aug 2011, 16:59

I'm trying to find out if my grandfather (born 1910 in Chicago to an Italian immigrant who probably didn't naturalize) ever naturalized before my father was born in 1941. Assuming that I have to first request an index search from USCIS, I downloaded their form G-1041, Genealogy Index Search Request.

The form requests information such as "Immigrant's Full Name." I'm confused--my grandfather was born in the U.S. and was not what I would normally consider an immigrant. Am I using the wrong form? Or does USCIS consider an immigrant to also be the nonnaturalized offspring of a nonnaturalized immigrant, regardless of where that child was born?

I'd appreciate anybody who could clarify this for me.

Thanks.
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia

JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: USCIS index search for American born ancestor?

Postby JJ313 » 29 Aug 2011, 17:08

Your grandfather (born 1910 in Chicago) is a US citizen by birth. You need to search his father's (your great-grandfather) naturalization record. If your great-grandfather naturalized prior to your grandfather's birth you will not qualify.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Aug 2011, 17:48

Also, if great-grandfather naturalized prior to June 15/June 30, 1912, then his children born prior to that date - regardless of whether in Italy or the US - would not qualify.

This is an effect of the 1912 revisions to Italian citizenship law and is enforced by many consulates - San Francisco and New York City for certain.

JJ313 is correct: you need to research your great-grandfather's naturalization.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby RussoTiesi » 29 Aug 2011, 19:55

Thanks for a straight answer to a pretty dumb question! I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'll go ahead and request the index search for my great grandfather.
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”