Moving During Application Process

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Moving During Application Process

Postby reboot365 » 29 Aug 2011, 17:02

As I am starting to go through the whole application process, I have a question about jurisdictions and moving.

My appointment is in June 2012 in NYC. However, there is a possibility through work that I will be put on a short term assignment (one year) in Europe (not Italy, and will be done as an American applying for a work visa). This would start in August 2012. I'm not concerned about the work visa - my company will handle that, and it's totally separate from my Italian citizenship application. My concern is that I might not be in NYC for much longer after my appointment. Would a change in residency after applying affect the processing my application? Or would I still be a NYC resident because I am temporarily residing in another country?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Moving During Application Process

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Aug 2011, 14:00

It is just a guess, but I don't think it will be an issue so long as you continue to maintain your legal address within the jurisdiction of the NYC consulate. Do you have parents or another relative in the area who will permit you to claim their address as your own? Of course, you would have to then make certain that your driver's license uses that same address and/or a few regular bills such as cell phone and bank statements.

The trick is to avoid any indication that you have changed your legal place of residence.

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”