Birth date mismatch

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Birth date mismatch

Postby italiangal36 » 30 Aug 2011, 06:56

I got my great grandfather's birth certificate from Italy today and was shocked to see his birthday was listed as March 10, 1884. All of his US documents (including his naturalization paperwork) indicate he was born on March 2, 1884. Do you think this will be an issue? Has anybody else ran into this? I'm not sure how I would go about changing the birth date on his naturalization certificate or if it is even possible.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Birth date mismatch

Postby sceaminmonkey » 30 Aug 2011, 08:29

what consulate are you applying at? is the person still alive? yeah its gona be a problem

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Aug 2011, 13:51

When I submitted my application in New York City, mid-2008, my grandfather's Italian birth and marriage certificates had a date three days earlier than all of the US documents including his naturalization papers. Nonetheless, my application was approved two weeks later.

Having said that, it seems that NYC is cracking down hard on date discrepancies involving naturalization documents and they imply that this is a system-wide crackdown ordered by the Italian Ministry of the Interior. See these two recent threads:

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic22551.html

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic21748.html

It may possibly be in your favor that all documents other than the Italian birth certificate are using the same March 2nd date (similar to my case). In the past, it would have been possible to simply get a "positive-negative" letter from the comune which states in effect, "We have searched our registers and we can state positively that the search for Joseph Smith born on March 2, 18xx was negative and that the only Joseph Smith born in this comune in the year 18xx was born on March 10."

Now, before we get too far afield, I would like to verify what the birth certificate you received actually says. What type of certificate is it? If it is copia integrale (a photocopy of the original handwritten registry page), you might possibly be mis-reading it. Even if it is an estratto (an extract, often computer-generated but sometimes handwritten), you may still be mis-reading it, although it is less likely.

In brief, the date shown in the first line of the copia integrale format is the date the birth was recorded and this is often different from the date of the actual birth, which is noted near the middle of the document.

In estratto form, some certificates will also make note of both the birth and the recording dates although it is generally more obvious which is which.

[edit]

Actually, my grandfather's Italian marriage extract does not state his full date of birth but only his age in years at the time of marriage. Therefore, his Italian birth certificate gave one date of birth while his US naturalization documents and death certificate both used a date which was 3 days later.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Postby italiangal36 » 30 Aug 2011, 20:52

I'm going through the San Francisco consulate. My great grandfather died in the 60's. The certificate was a computer print-out and I'm pretty sure I read it correctly, but I will triple check when I get home tonight and report back. There was also another discrepancy which is his last name starts with a Di on his Italian birth certificate and a De on all of his American documents. His death certificate is missing his birth date but it sounds like it is pretty easy to add. My Mom just needs to call and serve as the informant; however, I am now not sure whether to use the date on his naturalization certificate or Italian birth certificate. His naturalization certificate and his death certificate are the only two US documents that include a spot for his birth date.

italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Postby italiangal36 » 31 Aug 2011, 17:52

I checked again and confirmed the date of his birth is listed as March 10, 1884. It is the estratto version. I guess I can contact the Italian Consulate to see what they say but I am open to any and all suggestions.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 31 Aug 2011, 21:48

In the past couple of months me and two other forum members were requested to get a court letter stating the person on all certificates are the same. We were all going through the NYC consulate though. another member got a letter saying the italian government made this a requirement now. I would start looking in to getting a court letter in your jurisdiction.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”