Giacomo Para?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Giacomo Para?

Postby SSmith » 30 Aug 2011, 23:47

Hi! I want to make this as brief as possible with as much detail as I have!

My great-grandfather was Stephen Anthony Para, born in 1896 in Memphis, Tennessee. His father was Steven (Stephen) Victor Para, born 1870-1874 in Italy.

I know that Steven Victor Para's last name was not Para, but I don't know what it was before he immigrated to the US. He came over with his parents and brother.

Brother: Joseph Para, born October 14, 1874 in Italy.

Father: Americanized name is Jacob Para. On two census records his name is Jacob Para. In one census record his name is Jacamo Parra. In the 1891 Memphis, Tennessee directory his name is Giacomo Para. On Steven Victor's death certificate his father is listed as Kiacomo Para. On Joseph's death certificate he is listed as Jacob Para. I believe that Giacomo is correct. He was born sometime between 1844 and 1855 in Italy (those dates were determined by census records and death certificate).

Mother: Americanized name found is Mary Para (married surname). On two census records she is Mary Para and on one she is Mary Parra (married surname). On Steven Victor's death certificate his mother's name is stated as Chiarlone Maria di Steffano. On Joseph's death certificate her name is stated as Mary Sansona, Mary Sanrona or Mary Sanaona (that one letter is smudged!).

Giacoma and Maria were married in Italy sometime between 1864 and 1870 (again, determined from census records). The census records say that they arrived in the US sometime between 1877 and 1881.

I have no way to really search for them because I don't know their real names and I can't find the correct people where the date, locations an names all match up. What was the original surname? Wehre were they from in Italy? Who were their parents?

This is all so confusing....

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”