Help - How to find a Death Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Help - How to find a Death Certificate

Postby Italia1963 » 31 Aug 2011, 00:08

I am trying to locate the death certificate for my gf's second wife. I was able to find a SSDI and wrote to Florida for a copy of the death certificate, but they can not find anything. I even requested a search under her maiden name as well as about 5 years from the date listed on the SSDI. Is it possible the SSDI is incorrect? Does anyone have any ideas how I can locate where she may have died. Do I write to all the Health Dept.'s of the states along the Eastern seaboard to see if they have such a person?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help - How to find a Death Certificate

Postby johnnyonthespot » 31 Aug 2011, 00:20

Where will you be applying for Italian citizenship? Since this woman is apparently not in your direct line, the odd are that you will not need her birth or death certificates. Contrary to their websites, most consulates do not require these documents for non direct-line persons.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Postby italiangal36 » 31 Aug 2011, 00:43

I had a similar situation with my Mom's birth certificate- the state took my money and sent me a 'record not found' letter :(. After talking with my Mom, it turns out they had misspelled her last name on her birth certificate (Di instead of De)- this hadn't even occurred to me! This is probably why they couldn't find it. Also, my Dad died in a different state than what his SSDI shows (his SSDI shows the state he was born in, not the state he died in). Looking at the other comment, it sounds like you may not need this, but if you do this is something worth considering.

Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Italia1963 » 31 Aug 2011, 01:07

Hi,
I will be applying through the New York Consulate. I am hoping they won't request documents for my "step grandmother" but from what I hear, NY is pretty demanding, so I didn't want to take any chances.

Italiangal - those are some good points. I actually just read that sometimes the location listed on the SSDI is where the SS payments were last sent, so its possible, she could have had her benefit payments being sent to a Florida address while she lived in another state. In fact, I am wondering if she was a snow bird and may have died while visiting a different state.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 31 Aug 2011, 01:42

NYC has a long history of not requiring birth or death certificates for non direct-line persons. When I applied there in mid-2008, I was not asked for my mother's birth certificate nor my grandmother's birth/death certs. My line was myself -> father -> grandfather.

We have had very recent (within the past few months) reports from NYC applicants who also did not need non direct-line certs.

As to the other issue, I am still inclined to believe that she may have remarried but continued receiving her SS payments in her previous name. If this is the case, then her death certificate may be in the surname of her last husband, even though SS payments were being made in another name.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”