Applying for passport in different country than residence

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aulus
Rookie
Rookie

Applying for passport in different country than residence

Postby aulus » 04 Sep 2011, 21:15

After Italian citizenship has been recognized and registered, I read that in order to get a passport it is necessary to physically appear at an Italian consulate because of the biometrics. Can it be any consulate anywhere in the world or does it have to be in the country in which you are currently residing? I ask this because I live in the US, but the nearest consulate to me is actually in Canada.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Applying for passport in different country than residenc

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Sep 2011, 21:41

Your passport can only be issued by the consulate or questura (within Italy) serving the place where you have legal residence.

If your legal residence is in northern Vermont, for example, you will be registered in the Boston consulate's AIRE (registry of Italians living abroad) and that is where you must go for your passport, regardless of the fact that the Montreal consulate may be hundreds of miles closer to you.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”