Passenger Arrival

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
magusta21

Passenger Arrival

Postby magusta21 » 06 Sep 2011, 06:29

Hello, my Great Great Grandfather entered into the US on Nov 26 1902 on the SS Gallia under the name "Filippo D'Augusta." Of course that is not his name but it is close enough. I found his passenger arrival record on Ellis Island's website. Do I need to order a copy of this for my application for dual citizenship in NY?

Also, I noticed that they added extra information by his name:
Under the "Nationality" he has written Italian, however, there was something added
It looks like this:
2x63941
11/2/1934

THEN under last residence, it is written Castelvetrano, and added
(C.O.205.1/9/39)

Does anyone know what this information is? It is neither his alien registration number, nor anything else pertaining to any types of documents I found for him for his naturalization!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Passenger Arrival

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Sep 2011, 13:23

I am not certain about the second notation, but the first looks like it concerns the issuance of a "Certificate of Arrival":

What was a Certificate of Arrival? (United States only)

Certificates of Arrival were a product of the Basic Naturalization Act of 1906, and begin to appear in court naturalization records ca. 1911. The 1906 law required that each applicant for naturalization be a legally admitted immigrant, and applied to all immigrants arriving after June 29, 1906. These began to apply for citizenship in 1911 (5 years later), and in response to the applications to the courts (Declarations or Petitions), the Immigration Service would issue a Certificate of Arrival, which simply certified information taken from the passenger manifest. The Certificates of Arrival were never given to the immigrant. They were issued and sent to the court, to satisfy the court that the applicant met the admission and residency requirements for naturalization. Certificates of Arrival were associated with Declarations and/or Petitions, but were not the same document. When an immigrant filed a Declaration (or, if they were exempt from the Declaration requirement, when they filed their Petition), one copy of that document went from the court to the US Immigration Service. The INS then checked the immigration records to verify the immigrant's claimed port/date/ship of arrival. When found, they would certify that information on a form called "Certificate of Arrival," and mail it back to the court. Today these forms are often found filed with the court records. Copies of the certificates were not kept by the INS, since they had the passenger list itself.

http://www.theshipslist.com/Forms/faq.html

Similar markings appear on both of my grandfather's manifests; I have copies of the certificates of arrival and the certificate numbers and dates match up exactly with the manifest notations.

In your case, you have a certificate of arrival notation dated January, 1934 - this is a sure sign that your ancestor filed a Petition for Naturalization sometime in the months immediately preceding that date.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

magusta21

Postby magusta21 » 06 Sep 2011, 18:13

Is there a difference between a passenger manifest and a certificate of arrival? If so, how do I order a certificate of arrival? The manifest I can order from The NY Archives, but the certificate?

How would I go about finding his Petition for Naturalization? It is not with the USCIS.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Sep 2011, 19:27

magusta21 wrote:Is there a difference between a passenger manifest and a certificate of arrival? If so, how do I order a certificate of arrival? The manifest I can order from The NY Archives, but the certificate?

How would I go about finding his Petition for Naturalization? It is not with the USCIS.

They are entirely different documents. Here is my maternal grandfather's certificate of arrival:

Click to enlarge.

The surname is spelled incorrectly, but it is based on the transcription error which appears on the manifest.

You do not require either the manifest or the certificate of arrival for your jure sanguinis citizenship application. You do however require copies of the Petition for Naturalization and the Oath of Allegiance; where you get them depends on where and when your ancestor naturalized.

You remarked in your original post that Filippo D'Augusta was "not his name but close enough." The surname D'Augusta actually exists in Italy, spelled exactly that way, so are you sure this is not his real name? If you would care to share the correct name, we can look for naturalization documents online and, if that doesn't pan out, give you some ideas as to how to order them.

If a copy of the certificate of arrival still exists, it will usually be supplied along with the other naturalization documents. But it is not a required document.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

magusta21

Postby magusta21 » 06 Sep 2011, 20:08

I know, but I would like to have it for my records and I think that the number that was added to it may help me find the "first papers" that I couldn't find before. I am sure his name was "Filippo Augusta" because I have his birth certificate, and I also have family in Sicily that spell there last name "Augusta."

I have his alien registration form, which also states the same "2x63942" and 1939. So I am sure they are the same people.

When I did the USCIS index search nothing came up except for his Alien Registration form. I think he may have filed his first papers under the name "D'Augusta." Anyway I am doing another index search, this time attaching the passenger manifest with the updated first papers information.

Can you help me find out where I can find these first papers? I do not know if the alien registration form (dated after the birth of my great grandfather, who was born in the US) along with the no record letters and declaration of intention (from 1917, however, it is not the first papers referenced in his passenger manifest and alien registration).

magusta21

Postby magusta21 » 06 Sep 2011, 20:15

Also where I can get his Passenger Arrival Certificate?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”