Unclear on naturalization concept, pls help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fusedglass

Unclear on naturalization concept, pls help

Postby fusedglass » 08 Sep 2011, 03:53

hello: all my research confirms Italian heritage but many of my ancestors came over and at some point "naturalized". I am unclear on what that means or if I can receive dual citizenship. If my grandfather, Italo Unti (Lucca) applied in 1941 does that mean he was confirmed and no longer an Italian citizen? And if my grandmother, Velia Unti (born in Manhattan) applied in 1940..(perhaps they were worried about the war and being sent back to Italy)--please help me understand.... GRAZIE carla
Me/san francisco 1949
Mother/new jersey 1924
Father/new york 1912 (they divorced in 1 yr). His father born in Italy 1867
Maternal Grandfather/lucca 1888
Maternal Grandmother/manhattan 1897
Grandfather's father/lucca 1856
Grandfather's mother/lucca 1855
Grandmother's father/piacenza
Grandmother's mother/1875 italy

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Unclear on naturalization concept, pls help

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Sep 2011, 13:59

Because you were born on or after January 1, 1948, you have the option of claiming Italian citizenship either through your mother or through your father (had you been born before that date, you could not inherit from your mother).

In order to assert this claim, your parent must have been an Italian citizen (knowingly or not) at the time of your birth, his or her parent must have been an Italian citizen at the time of his or her birth, and so on.

What you have described above appears to be in your favor. From your other threads, your mother Gloria Unti inherited Italian citizenship from her father, Italo, at the moment of her birth. The fact that Italo later became a US citizen does not impact your mother's status, and since you were born well after 1/1/1948, you inherited Italian citizenship through your mother.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

fusedglass

Re: Unclear on naturalization concept, pls help

Postby fusedglass » 08 Sep 2011, 16:42

thank you johnnyonthespot....i know it wasn't the most compelling question but i really appreciate your guidance. After awhile, everything starts to blur; there are so many criteria and requirements. thanks for taking the time. c

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”