Naturalization Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Naturalization Question

Postby KarenChristino » 09 Sep 2011, 18:16

Since the NYC Consulate postponed my appointment until February, I have several months to fret about my application! Here's my concern:

My GGF applied for U.S. Citizenship in 1913 but was denied. Therefore I was able to obtain "No Record" certificates from both Brooklyn and Manhattan, the only places he lived. I also got a "No Record" letter from USCIS.

I do have his Declaration of Intent and Petition but his birth date and year are both wrong and he says he was born in Naples which is also incorrect. I understand from other posts that if this is the case I will need to get a letter from the Court.

On the other hand, if I don't present his Petition it sounds like they will ask for a Census. I do have a 1905 Census for them listing my GGF as an Alien and my GF as a U.S. born Citizen. Their names are correctly spelled but my GF is listed as 3 or 4 years younger than he is in all other documents. I imagine this could pose a problem as well.

I am inclined to NOT present his Petition as that seems more problemmatic. Any thoughts as to how I should approach this? What if I don't present the Census, either?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Question

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Sep 2011, 18:31

I think you are on the right track. Get a certified copy of the census, but do not present it unless it is specifically requested.

What about the 1910 US federal census? 1920? 1930? Surely one or more of these must exist somewhere; maybe it would be a better fit? Remember, any census dated after your GF's birth which shows GGF as "AL' or "PA" is suitable.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 09 Sep 2011, 21:17

I will have to check it out. I believe that the later ones all have a changed first name and incorrect spelling of the last name, though. At least one of them has "Pa" though -- will that lead them to request the papers?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Sep 2011, 21:39

KarenChristino wrote:At least one of them has "Pa" though -- will that lead them to request the papers?

Good point. You could probably convince them that it must be an error since you have all those No Record Found letters and since it is after your GF's birth it is irrelevant anyway.

Nevertheless, probably best to avoid that one. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjnigro » 09 Sep 2011, 22:34

Since the NYC Consulate postponed my appointment until February

Just curious as to what caused the Consulate to postpone your appointment. When was it postponed from? Thanks
Ron

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 10 Sep 2011, 02:24

Ron -- My brother, sister and I were originally scheduled for mid-August 2010, and we had waited about 8 months, I think, for that appointment. But in a way it worked out because I've been making corrections, getting the apostilles, etc., so I will have a better application in February. I think they were just overbooked -- we had some posts about it on this forum as others were postponed, too.

Carmine - In 1910, GGF Donato Cristino had become Daniel Christio which I think is my GF's doing as he seemed to be the one who wanted everyone Americanized. But he is listed as "Al" with correct year of entry and my GF's age matches his other papers. I don't know if I can make a case this. What do you think? The 1905 is more correct overall.

1920 GGF is Daniel Christino listed as "Na" which he was not; wife Mary has "Pa" which she never submitted (did not speak English according to my dad).

JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JJ313 » 10 Sep 2011, 22:28

Karen, you mentioned that you have a declaration, petition and subsequent denial yet you have no record from your USCIS search. I would expect to see these documents showing up in your USCIS search as your GGF applied after 1906. Where did you obtain these documents? My concern is that your search may not be accurate, i.e., you did not search all potential possibilities. Your letter from USCIS should explain exactly what they searched. It is this letter that you send back for a "no record" letter.

Did you search NARA?

If you have a denial, what is the reason for the denial?

Also, I believe NY requires census records, they also require special wording on the no records letter.

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 10 Sep 2011, 23:17

Hi JJ,

The records I have are from the Kings County (Brooklyn) Court. They subsequently gave me a "No Record" of naturalization letter since he was never naturalized (he did not pass the test). The USCIS letter also states they have no record for him. I understand what you're saying -- that USCIS should have a record? But they do not. Maybe they just registered those who were naturalized at that time?

NARA did an informal search for me but also found nothing.

I had a question on the USCIS wording for NYC that I posted last month at topic22845.html#p166802
Perhaps you have the answer?

Thanks,
Karen

JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JJ313 » 11 Sep 2011, 07:22

Karen, I looked back at that post and your letter has the correct language.

Did you get a letter from NARA indicating no record? They usually send an email reply and some researchers follow up with a letter others you need to specifically request it.

As long as there is no trail to the declaration and petition then just show the no records letters. I would have the census as a backup in case they ask, but I wouldn't offer it initially.

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 11 Sep 2011, 16:05

Thanks, you confirm what Carmine suggested, too.

I just have an e-mail from NARA, but you're right -- I should go ahead and get the additional letter if possible. Here's the link for anyone else interested, they give a nice overview of their holdings, research steps and how to make requests:
http://www.archives.gov/northeast/nyc/f ... sitecopies

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”