Registration process at comune?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aulus
Rookie
Rookie

Registration process at comune?

Postby aulus » 27 Sep 2011, 00:57

What happens after the consulate forwards your documents to your comune? Does the comune just need to enter your information into some register? Or does the process depend on the central government? The reason I ask is that I just found out that I have a cousin working at the city hall office in my comune, so I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to contact him in an attempt to speed things along?

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: Registration process at comune?

Postby kontessa » 27 Sep 2011, 18:36

It's always good to have someone in your corner, checking on the status of your case. If you have a cousin that works in the comune, I would definitely ask him/her to stop in to the stato civile office just to see how things are progressing.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 03 Oct 2011, 04:45

I don't think it will help. What happens ( other than NYC) is the consulate sends a letter to the comune instructing them to issue a birth certificate for you. When you receive the birth cert. you may then apply for a passport. NY I understand does not wait for this, but everyone else does.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 03 Oct 2011, 09:51

Of course everyone's mileage will vary. But with all due respect, I have seen first-hand though, that showing up at an office in Italy can definitely speed things along. One example - I visited a non-respnsive comune to inquire about a record request for someone in the US and walked out within the hour with the records that they had been waiting weeks or months for. (Can't recall how long the person waited, but the darn documents were just gathering dust in the corner of the office.) Right now, my brother is waiting for a copy of his Italian birth record so that he can apply for a passport in the US. After waiting for about 5 months and not hearing anything, I've now decided to contact the comune myself (via fax and phone follow-up) in order to try to obtain information - ie, speed things along. :wink: We'll see soon enough whether or not a personal contact gets results.

After living in Italy for a little over 9 years, I'm a firm believer in face-time. On countless occasions, I've witnessed just the right person asking just the right questions, and obtaining amazing results. Why not use a contact if you have one? :D

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”