Apostille on Letter from County Recorder?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Apostille on Letter from County Recorder?

Postby JoshFM » 07 Oct 2011, 22:13

I will be applying through the GGF>GF>M>Me line at the Chicago consulate next year. My grandparents were married in Washoe County (Reno), Nevada in 1950. At that time, the marriage license application did not request birth dates or birth cities for the bride and groom.

I have received certified copies of both documents, along with a letter from the county recorder explaining that they did not require birth information on their forms until 1971.

Does anyone know if I need to get an apostille for this letter? I intend to have it translated.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Apostille on Letter from County Recorder?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Oct 2011, 01:17

In my estimation, you need neither apostille nor translation for this letter. Both are required for documents which will be sent to Italy, however I believe the letter falls more into the category of "for the consulate's use" similar to naturalization documents which are used to determine eligibility but never actually forwarded to Italy.

If you want to cover all the bases, by all means spend the $20 for a Nevada apostille (http://nvsos.gov/index.aspx?page=124), but my guess is that it will not be necessary.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Apostille on Letter from County Recorder?

Postby corrado » 16 Oct 2011, 04:59

You will need to have this letter Apostiled.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”