My great grand father US deportation

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
chaika
Rookie
Rookie

My great grand father US deportation

Post by chaika »

Hello, I found my great grand father (John Scognamillo) registration card WWII. It results that on April 25 1942 he was detained at Ellis Island awaiting deportation proceedings.
I don't know anything about his deportation in Usa. Could anyone help me in this research??
Thanks....
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: My great grand father US deportation

Post by Tessa78 »

Just a quick question...

I found the WWII card for John Scognamillo you mentioned above (DOB - May 1888)
BUT - I also found a WWII card for another John Scognamillo living on Mott St. in NYC - (DOB - Dec 1886)
Was your GGF married at the time?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You might want to try a USCIS "Index Search" request to see what records turn up. If deportation action was instituted, I am pretty certain the records would be found there.

Alternatively, send an email to Genealogy.USCIS@dhs.gov and inquire about the availability of deportation records. Or, try the contact form on this National Archives page: http://www.archives.gov/contact/inquire ... tml#part-b
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
chaika
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chaika »

Tessa78 wrote:Just a quick question...

I found the WWII card for John Scognamillo you mentioned above (DOB - May 1888)
BUT - I also found a WWII card for another John Scognamillo living on Mott St. in NYC - (DOB - Dec 1886)
Was your GGF married at the time?

T.

Hi,
he was born in Alghero (Sardinia) ON MAY 8TH 1888. He was married with an italian woman, Vittoria Sotgiu and they lived in Genoa. In 1920's my great grand father went to N.Y. alone until his death.
chaika
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chaika »

johnnyonthespot wrote:You might want to try a USCIS "Index Search" request to see what records turn up. If deportation action was instituted, I am pretty certain the records would be found there.

Alternatively, send an email to Genealogy.USCIS@dhs.gov and inquire about the availability of deportation records. Or, try the contact form on this National Archives page: http://www.archives.gov/contact/inquire ... tml#part-b

Many thanks!!! I'll do this research;)