Applying with my Dad/Legalizing documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Applying with my Dad/Legalizing documents

Postby alioli2349 » 14 Oct 2011, 03:37

Today I had my Italian consulate appointment. Unfortunately, it didn't go exactly as planned.

I brought my dad with me for emotional support and the consular asked me if my dad planned on applying as well. I told him "I dont know, I think so". He then asked if my dad could come into the room. He just asked my dad for his passport and license and now my dad is applying as well.

I was hoping to move to Europe by April, but the consular told me I will need to send my father's birth certificate, apostille, and translations to Philadelphia to have them legalized. I will then need to reschedule an appointment in Boston.

I sent those documents later today, but now I have no clue how long the process to legalize them will take. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I reschedule my appointment before I have the legalized document?

Also now that my dad is applying with me, will his application get processed first or will they be able to process them at the same time.

It was initially my appointment and my dad wasn't even planning on applying.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Re: Applying with my Dad/Legalizing documents

Postby mler » 16 Oct 2011, 21:13

Even if your father were not applying, his papers would have had to be translated and legalized since you are using his line. The legalization process should not be too lengthy so it may be a good idea to schedule the appointment now. It is likely that your applications will be processed together.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”