Moving to NY- will this change my appt?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Moving to NY- will this change my appt?

Postby caridimondo » 17 Oct 2011, 16:38

Ciao tutti,

I have an appointment set for me, my mother, and 3 siblings at the Philly consulate in March 2012. I am moving to NY for a new job Nov. 1, so will my change in address affect my appointment in Philly?

My family has permanent addresses in PA and I will still have my PA driver's license as well. Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Moving to NY- will this change my appt?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Oct 2011, 22:02

At the time of your appointment, you must provide proof that you are a legal resident within the consulate's jurisdiction. Technically, you should cancel your Philly appointment and make a new appointment with the NYC consulate.

Of course, since you will still have your PA driver's license and a PA address which you can use, you could cheat the system... (but I didn't tell you to do that :) )

Assuming that your citizenship is eventually recognized and Philly registers your information in their AIRE database (Registry of Italians Living Abroad), you will have to then submit the proper forms to have your AIRE entry transferred to the NYC consulate. See http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork/Menu/I_Servizi/Per_i_cittadini/Anagrafe/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 18 Oct 2011, 00:53

. . .and it is easy to do. NY processed my application with my son's using his address. I live in NJ and had not expected this. I simply completed an AIRE form in Newark, and all is well.

caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby caridimondo » 18 Oct 2011, 05:25

Thanks for the advice! Since I set the appointment last December and the wait is 14 months, I don't think I can handle waiting another year for an NY appointment. Plus, we are technically applying through my mother so she would need to go to Philly regardless. In other words, there's no way I'm giving up our spot! :evil: I'll make sure to complete the AIRE form in NY when the time comes.

Thanks again,
Tom

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”