Naturalization Birth Date Issue

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Naturalization Birth Date Issue

Postby reboot365 » 17 Oct 2011, 23:34

I have the original Certificate of Naturalization for my GGF (actually listed as Certificate of Citizenship). According to his Italian BC, his birth date is April 9th, 1886. The Certificate of Naturalization lists his correct age at the time of the naturalization. However, it does not list his exact birth date.

Just to be safe / complete, I decided to get certified copies of his Petition of Naturalization and Oath of Allegiance. Well, according to them, his birth date is April 8th, 1886, so off by one day.

I'm applying through the NYC consulate. I've been told on here that because I have the original certificate, that's all they'll need and I'm set. But could they ask for the petition and oath too? I know NYC is a stickler for dates, and with the certificate only listing age, I'm concerned. Thankfully his name is correct on the certificate, so that is not an issue.

Also, I'm in the process of getting his death certificate. I'm already going to have to change his name on that (later in life, he anglicized it), and I'm going to bet that his date of birth will also be April 8th, 1886. Should I change it to the 9th to be consistent with the BC and marriage certificates from Italy?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Naturalization Birth Date Issue

Postby kontessa » 19 Oct 2011, 09:54

Even though you have the actual naturalization certificate, since the DOB isn't noted, the individual reviewing your documents may also ask to see the petition and oath. Best to be ready for that. Also, it may be a good idea to ensure that all dates match those in the Italian documents - if amendments to the US docs are possible.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”