*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Has Anyone Corrected Original Documents From CT?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Has Anyone Corrected Original Documents From CT?

Postby AlfaRomeo4Ever » 18 Oct 2011, 00:03

I'm applying for "Jure Sanguinis" via my Grandfather-Mom-Me. I've gathered all the original certified documents I need. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of discrepancies in the names used by my grandparents - and also my parents! Sometimes it is just an alternate, English spelling of a first name (grandmother: Louisa vs. Louise) - other times it is more serious change of first name (my mom was born "Disolina" but she used "Daisy" for her marriage and my birth certificates...but never legally changed her name). The worst situation is where my grandfather was born as (i.e.) Luigi Morricone - but for some unexplained reason used Americanized "Louis Morris" as the name on his marriage certificate. He also never legally changed his name! All of these documents originate in CT.

I wanted to get everything corrected before I wasted big money on translations, apostilles and "authentications" (I'm applying to the L.A. consulate)- and visited the CT State website for info. The website makes the ammendment/change procedure seem rather simple, and they recommend speaking to the Town Cerk where the documents originated. I called the Bristol City Clerk and had a long conversation with the registrar. She basically told me this: if ANY person listed on a document is now deceased, they WILL NOT make any corrections or issue an ammendment to that document. End of discussion, as my grandparents are long deceased and so is my father (mom still alive). I asked if a judge could make such a correction and they told me the same thing: NO! Can this be? Oh great...what do I do now if the consulate expects names to coincide - and I can't get any documents ammended? Am I suddenly no longer an Italian citizen by birthright?

I often read here that people get their great-grandparents names corrected on certificates. Were all these ancestors still alive at the time of the document corrections? I'd guess not, so is this just an overly-restrictive CT law, or is the Town Clerk wrong in her understanding of the possibilities?

Can somebody advise me please? This is becoming very frustrating.

Thanks,
Dennis
San Diego, CA
AlfaRomeo4Ever

Re: Has Anyone Corrected Original Documents From CT?

Postby dgeorge » 03 Mar 2012, 03:16

Recently visited Bristol Registrar to make a similar request and was told the same thing. BUT, the clerk (not the registrar) said they had made those kinds of changes for another person as a result of a State of Connecticut Court Order telling them to do so.

I'm not sure how I am going to proceed, but I see your post is from last year. What did you decide to do in the end? Have you made any headway with them? Thanks!
dgeorge

Postby lisahickey » 07 Mar 2012, 03:17

I've had documents from Waterbury amended, and from Middleton. I haven't had any trouble because someone was deceased - for example my husband's GM used her confirmation name Marie as her middle name on her marriage certificate and her children's birth certificate, but it was not on her birth certificate. She is deceased, but we sent a notarized letter from my husband with certified copies of birth certificates for him and his mother, showing line of descent, along with her birth certificate showing that her name was not correct on her marriage certificate, and they amended it and the birth certificates of her children by removing her middle name. I've had to make other changes for other documents for people who are deceased, and have just used the same procedure. I hope this helps.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dgeorge » 11 Mar 2012, 17:53

Unfortunately, it does not help. These are the guidelines posted on the state website, but Bristol refuses to amend documents for deceased individuals. I provided all the certified supporting documents to request the change, as well as a notified affidavit of my relationship to the deceased. I have had success in other CT towns, but not his one and this is where nearly all of the required vital records are recorded.
dgeorge

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship