Help - applying for dual citizenship!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Help - applying for dual citizenship!

Postby anima87ag » 07 Nov 2011, 23:00

Progress & Guidance - Italian/US Dual Citizenship- Griffo

Hello to the forum members that have been so graciously informative!

A year later and I am still on my UK visa, but ready to go forward with my dual citizenship for Italy.

I shortly will be sending the letter to the Comune in Stefanaconi. Can anyone advise if I send postage or ask them to charge me thereafter?

Also, I ran into a hurdle trying to obtain records in my own family due to personal reasons and now I am being charged $100 for a death record and my own father's birth certificate from New York State because I can't obtain it through my family.

If anyone can advise on a more affordable agency to obtain such personal documents, that would be greatly appreciated.

Good news, is I found the naturalization record in Westchester (FINALLY!) and that I do qualify since my dad was born before my grandfather naturalized in the US. Phew!

Anyhow, I would appreciate all comments or advisement in the matter. Mille grazie a tutti. You've been wonderful!

Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help - applying for dual citizenship!

Postby Italia1963 » 08 Nov 2011, 00:01

I actually sent Euros to my comune, but they sent it back to me, so I would think most comunes will pay postage on their own.

Regarding the death certificate, why don't you write directly to the Department of Health to obtain his record which should not cost anywhere near $100. Something doesn't sound right there.

anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help - applying for dual citizenship!

Postby anima87ag » 08 Nov 2011, 11:07

Thanks for your quick reply. Great idea with regards to writing the Department of Health. I will certainly attempt that. NYS is very strict with regards to obtaining birth and death records, which is why I am having issues!

I totally agree, there is only one agency in the US that assists with Italian dual citizenship and $100 is there going rate. It's absurd!

Thanks again!

- A

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”