Divorce adn remarriage question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Divorce adn remarriage question

Postby lisahickey » 08 Nov 2011, 00:02

Our grandfather (ancestor through whom we're obtaining citizenship) was divorced from his 1st wife (mother of our father) and remarried, with no issue, late in life. Is it necessary to have the divorce decree and/or new marriage certificate translated and apostilled? Just the divorce decree? Or both? I assume I don't need his new wife's birth certificate b/c she has nothing to do with line of descent and he remarried after his youngest son (our father) left the house to marry himself? Thanks!

Re: Divorce adn remarriage question

Postby ricbru » 06 Dec 2011, 11:44

I would do it, yes, get the first marriage and the divorce decree, because if in all the documents about him, comes out that he was married before, that you have to start again to work and collect more papers. At least once your paperworks are all done, and at your appointment you present all the documents, in that place you show the complete situation of your ancestors and eligibility to become italian citizen, and no one can say anything. It is just a suggestion. I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”