Problem with non-italian lineage documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Problem with non-italian lineage documents

Postby Carol4590 » 23 Nov 2011, 08:14

Okay, so my problem is a bit complicated, but I would like to apply for citizenship from my Mother --> Grandmother --> Great-grandfather

My Great-grandparents were both born and married in Italy. I've visited the comune where they were born and have both their birth certificates and their marriage certificate. This was the easiest part for me.

My Grandmother was born in 1921 in New York. Her father was naturalized in New Jersey in 1929. She retained her citizenship because she was born before he was naturalized.
She was married to an American Nov. 1948, this being after Jan. 1, 1948 I should be okay here...

My Mother was born in 1950, this being after Jan. 1, 1948, from what I read I qualify.

So with all of this said there should be no problems, but there are =(. My grandmother was divorced from my mother's father (after 12 years of marriage) and he was always estranged from the family, my mother never knew her father and didn't even know that he had died until 30 years later. He was a shady character and from the looks of it not a good person at all. The problem is he changed his name. His name on his marriage, divorce, and death certificates differ from his name on his birth certificate. With that said, no one even knows where he was born- but I do know his birth name and his name he used when he married my grandmother. I have a strong feeling he never legally changed his name so I won't be able to get records for this. I believe he just started using a different name on documents after he turned 18, because I have records of his birth name in a Census when he was 16.

Since he is not part of the lineage that I'm trying to obtain my citizenship through, how important is his birth certificate if I have the marriage, divorce, and death certificates for him? If I do get the birth certificate, but never a name change certificate is there something I can do?

Any feedback would be helpful and is greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem with non-italian lineage documents

Postby ricbru » 05 Dec 2011, 13:44

You need his birth certificate anyway, and use his birth certificate to make amendaments on marriage record and if possible on divorce and death record

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”