Middle Names

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

Middle Names

Postby reboot365 » 28 Nov 2011, 00:40

I'm applying through the NYC consulate (yay me), so I've got a question about how strict things are on middle names.

I'm in the process of trying to get a number of names corrected (huge errors everywhere). But what I'm not sure is how strict it is when it comes to middle names. My GGF, under his name Francesco Guglielmi on his Italian BC, it says "nomi successivi al primo ANTONIO", which I'm taking to mean middle name. My GGM doesn't have one. What is interesting is that his Italian MC just says Francesco Guglielmi. Same goes for his naturalization cetificate, it just lists Francesco Guglielmi (I realize neither of these documents can be changed). For his DC, his wife's DC, and my GM's BC and MC (under father of the bride), it says Frank Williams, which is a highly inconvenient not legal name change he made after moving to the US. As I'm getting these corrected, should I include the middle name listed on his Italian BC? I'm thinking that if his Italian MC doesn't contain it, it shouldn't be a problem (I would like things to match the naturalization record), but I would like other people's opinions before I make any changes. Thanks!

reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Middle Names

Postby reboot365 » 01 Dec 2011, 17:40

Sorry to bump this, but as I need to contact NYS soon, I'd really love to get someone's view before I send them anything.

Basically, should I add the middle name to all of my GGF's documents because it's on his Italian BC, or not because it's not in his Italian MC and US Naturalization Certificate?

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 01 Dec 2011, 20:47

Well, I can offer an opinion, but I'm not sure it's worth very much! If it were me, I wouldn't add the middle name to the American documents, because you want to have as many documents as possible that match, and you can't change naturalization documents. What's in your favor, is that you have an Italian document that was issued without the middle name. (Isn't it unusual for an Italian to be given a middle name, btw?) Perhaps it's easier for the consulate to challenge the naturalization document and create a headache for you, than it would be for them to challenge the comune that issued the marriage record?

The problem is, that you are essentially war-gaming what you think the consulate in NYC will do. I would rather have to deal with asking a comune to clarify the different names on the records that were issued, than having to obtain a finding of one and the same from a judge/court in the US.

Now, hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts, even if they have a different opinion. :D

reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

Postby reboot365 » 01 Dec 2011, 23:17

Thanks for your input kontessa. I took another look at the MC, and I found something interesting. From what I understand, you need to submit the estratto riassunto di atto di matrimoni. That doesn't list his middle name. However, I also got a photocopy of the original document, and that DOES list his middle name. Bizarre - I'm not sure why the estratto wouldn't include it. Then again, I don't have to show NYC the photocopy version either.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”