Illegitimate child

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sconte

Illegitimate child

Postby sconte » 06 Dec 2011, 04:41

I am an Australian citizen, M 45, interested in acquiring Italian citizenship. My mother is Australian, while my father, who died in 1973 (when I was 7 years old) was an Italian citizen who lived his whole life in Italy. Unfortunately for my chances of gaining citizenship, I was an illegitimate child — my father was married at the time of his love affair with my mother (1965, Venezia). My mother returned to Australia to give birth to me. Apparently she and my father were waiting for divorce to be legalized in Italy in order to be together, but then came his diagnosis for terminal brain cancer... I never met him. My Australian birth certificate is blank under "Father".

Yesterday I went to the Italian consulate in Melbourne to get a 6-month visa (that's another story!), and in passing asked about my chances of getting Italian citizenship. The officer I spoke to was very pessimistic, a) because I'm illegitimate, and b) because my father died so long ago. But should I give up? The relevant Italian government websites are silent on the subject of illegitimate children and citizenship, but, Italians being Italians, I can't imagine that my situation is all that unusual.

My questions are as follows:

* Does the Italian government explicitly exclude illegitimate children from citizenship?

* If not, what kind of proof of parentage would be acceptable? I have cousins in Italy who are aware of the story, but who themselves weren't alive at the time. Would DNA evidence be a possibility?

Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Illegitimate child

Postby KarenChristino » 19 Dec 2011, 17:52

Steven,

I'm not familiar with the consulate's requirements, but I imagine that one significant step would be correcting your own birth record to include your father's name. Have you looked into the requirements for doing that in your area?
Karen

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 19 Dec 2011, 18:01

I should also add that clerks can be unreliable and you should NOT give up! Many of us on these boards have reached back to the late 19th century for documents. Your father's death does not seem that long ago and Italy will certainly have his records if he died there.

See the link on this forum addressing the same question, which seems appropriate -- topic3620.html?hilit=illigitimate#p20916

sconte

Postby sconte » 20 Dec 2011, 03:50

Thanks Karen for the advice and the link. I'll share any knowledge that I gain along the way...

Steven

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”