*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

added to AIRE....is this official?!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

added to AIRE....is this official?!

Postby kahuka » 19 Dec 2011, 18:47

hello all ! My story is long and boring, so I will spare you the details of it all...when it comes down to it, after everyone told me NO, you can't get citizenship, I just steamrolled ahead and found out that yes, I could (not through my Italian born father, but through a great grandfather on my mom's side)...for a while I was stubborn and just wanted to do it through my father since I had all the documents and was daunted by the task of having to go back a few generations and also because I really wanted to be registered with is village since I have spent a lot of time there....but in the end, my amazing father and I got every paper from my mom's side, apostilled, signed sealed and delivered to the Boston Consulate in October 2011. Last week I received an email from someone at the municipal office of the comune of Anzano di Puglia saying I was added to AIRE.....I assume this means I am in...why would they add me if not?! Is it safe to believe I am an Italian citizen?! I called the Boston consulate, and a pleasant man named Antonio led me to believe that yes, I am an Italian! Is this the normal process ....do people generally get notified that they have been added to AIRE, and then go from there? I assume next I will receive something in the mail....Antonio told me to come by the Consulate after the holidays....I can't believe this happened so fast!!!! Mr. Corrao of Boston told me to not expect anything until Spring of next year! Can anyone else let me know what the chain of events was like for them? I hope this post makes sense I'm sort of rambling at this point since I am so excited/ somewhat nervous that something could go wrong....grazie mille!
kahuka

Re: added to AIRE....is this official?!

Postby Italysearcher » 19 Dec 2011, 21:05

One of my clients has been waiting 13 months for the Comune to enter him on their books. He is registered with AIRE in Los Angeles but still witing for his Comune to get their act together.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby vanessam » 31 Dec 2011, 09:06

Wow - don't question it, go with it!! As you can see on some of these threads, most of us have been waiting months....someone is smiling down on you!

I'm not as knowledgable as some on this forum, but if you have received written confirmation saying that you have been added then it's safe to say you are an Italian citizen. I guess you'll find out for sure after your appointment with Antonio. My guy is also an Antonio, but not as pleasant to deal with by the sound of it! I have been told that I can expect to wait 6-9 months - this is more common than you think, sadly.
Let us know what happens after your appointment
vanessam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kahuka » 22 Jan 2012, 15:12

so a couple of weeks after I was added to my comune's AIRE, the Boston consulate sent me and my mother's information to la questura della Provincia di Foggia. 2 and a half weeks later the Consulate called and said we could come in at any time to take care of our Italian passports!!! such a dream! We will be going this Thursday afternoon, I really hope we can bring them home with us that day! From the time I submitted my documents to Mr. Corrao until Thursday when I will hopefully get my passport will have been less than 4 months! Granted it took a little longer to collect all the documents but it was such an incredible journey! Very exciting.
kahuka

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship