Back from Philly Appt

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Back from Philly Appt

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I just got back home from my trip to the Philadelphia Consulate and wanted to give a quick couple pointers to those applying through this consulate.

1) The woman (Lia) that will handle your case is incredibly nice and very helpful and professional. :D

2) Have all the necessary docs. You need only the DIRECT LINE through which you are applying, but you need all the docs in that line.

3) SURNAMES must be consistent throughout the documents. Any changes to surnames or misspellings will need corrected.

4) Get there a little before 9:00. On the day I was there there the waiting room was full and each appt takes some time, so you might have to wait awhile to get in, but they take everybody on the scheduled day, so no big worry there.

I still have some pieces I have to have corrected and try again, but overall I'd say it was a great appt and a positive overall!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Back from Philly Appt

Post by caridimondo »

Congrats! Sounds like it went pretty smooth. What changes do you need to make? How long are they giving you to have docs corrected?

Best,
Tom
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I'm hoping to have everything corrected by the end of the month. The sooner the better I figure. They didn't specify a time frame. Overall, a great consulate to apply through (though they may all be, I've only experienced this one).
Agrigentonio

Post by Agrigentonio »

SURNAMES must be consistent throughout the documents. Any changes to surnames or misspellings will need corrected.
Congratulations on your successful appointment.

Are anglicized first names not an issue in Phila., or did you not have any of these in your documents?

I will be relying on Louisiana Catholic Church records to provide proof of birth and marriage for my grandparents, and they are handwritten and contain misspellings of surnames and first names. I'm not sure how I will have these ammended to satisfy the Phila. Consulate.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I, fortunately, did not have any anglicized first names in my documents. The woman I met with mentioned that surnames needed to be consistent throughout the docs. I can't speak exactly to how strict they are as I, again fortunately, did not have any discrepancies or misspellings in the family last name. Sorry I can't be more of a help.