*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

No record of Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

No record of Naturalization

Postby MCKay » 19 Jan 2012, 07:10

Just so everybody knows (which I am sure most of you do) you need to show proof of no naturalization when you are in your interview for citizenship at the consulate. I was told over an extremely expensive phone call that you need three sources of proof:
1. the citizenship office also known as USCIS
2.the National Archives (easily ordered through this linkhttps://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWEVI=&SWECmd=Refresh&SWERF=1&SWEFullRefresh=1&TglPrtclRfrsh=1
3. the census bureau.

I have no idea how to get useful documents from the census bureau and I keep getting the runaround from USCIS. Can anyone tell me how to, or where I can obtain documents from these places?
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Re: No record of Naturalization

Postby mler » 19 Jan 2012, 13:56

You can obtain a certified copy of the census through NARA.
mler
Master
Master

Postby JJ313 » 20 Jan 2012, 03:05

Where are you applying? Each consulate has different requirements and I would not rely on the data received from the phone service. Many consulates require that you also search the local courts where your ancestor lived. For example, if your ancestor lived in Brooklyn, NY you would have to search Kings County Court in addition to USCIS and NARA. Census data is sometimes required but it is unreliable.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 20 Jan 2012, 20:22

I was able to get a Certified copy of a 1905 NYS Census from the NYC Supreme Court records people since the family lived in NYC (I think it was $10, maybe a money order). If you have the information from the Census or a copy of the page, it will make it easier for them. Unfortunately, though my GGF and GGM are correctly listed as Aliens on this form, my GF's age is off. I hope this will not create any problems, though I do have all the other docs.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MCKay » 22 Jan 2012, 02:36

The age problem is definitely something I would think happens often. It's going to be a problem for me as well. The year is off and the day is off by only a few. Has anyone here had this issue and been OK with it?
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MCKay » 22 Jan 2012, 02:38

mler wrote:You can obtain a certified copy of the census through NARA.

Does anybody have any links for where I can get these documents? I've been looking but I haven't been able to find my way through the labyrinth of webpage.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KarenChristino » 22 Jan 2012, 17:19

See this NARA page and scroll to "Order copies of Census Records." (Sometimes I find it easier to do a quick Google search, rather than wade through some of these involved government webpages.)

http://www.archives.gov/research/census/resources.html
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship