Italian Citiaenship Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Citiaenship Question

Postby Cristina319 » 30 Jan 2012, 00:40

Hello, everyone.

I know this question comes up time and again, but I have to ask it in relation to my situation.

I would like to claim dual citizenship - US/Italian.

My maternal grandparents were from Abruzzo and emigrated to the US in 1905 & 1906. They never became US citizens.

My mother was born in 1921. I was born in 1953.

I have my mother's birth certificate and the Italian certificates stating the dates/places of my grandparents' birth. I have my birth certificate.

(Just in case the question comes up: My father's parents were not Italian. I do not consider myself of anything but Italian descent.)

When we were in Italy in June, I tried to get information, but the clerks there kept telling me I had to go elsewhere. So, I'm lost as to what to do now. My Italian language instructor told me I had everything I needed. I'm not so sure.

Can anyone help me, please?

Grazie mille,
Chris
Cristina319

Re: Italian Citiaenship Question

Postby JJ313 » 30 Jan 2012, 05:56

Hi Chris,

Based upon the description of family line you would qualify for Italian citizenship. I am assuming that you and your mother were born in the US. I am not sure what information you were trying to get from the clerks in Italy but you will need the following:

BC from Italy for your GF and GM
Grandparents MC
Death certificates for GP
Mother's BC, MC and DC (if applicable)
Father's BC and DC
Your BC, MC

You will also need to prove that your grandparents did not naturalize. You will have to search USCIS, NARA and the local county court for the jurisdiction where your grandparents lived.

You will have to apply at the consulate with jurisdiction over where you live. You do not have a choice unless you have multiple residences. Each consulate in the US has its own requirements, some like NY are more difficult to deal with. The wait time for appointments at some consulates can be almost a year or more.

All of your documents (issued in the US) have to be long form, apostilled and translated. If they are from outside your consulate's jurisdiction they will need to be authenticated by the consulate having jurisdiction. You will need to complete Form 1 and 2. All living ascendants complete Form 3, otherwise you complete Form 4 for each ascendant.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship