Birth record via military records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Birth record via military records

Postby Drew927 » 03 Feb 2012, 07:58

Has anyone heard of getting a birth record from a military service record? Having difficulty locating a birth record and was curious about getting one through the Veterans Administration. I believe you cannot enlist with out a birth cert.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Drew
Drew927
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birth record via military records

Postby kontessa » 03 Feb 2012, 10:00

I was under the impression that many service members did in fact enter and serve in the military without ever having submitted a record of birth. (Others with more knowledge about this can chime in.) I was also hoping to use military records from the VA as proof of birth when having a delayed birth record created for my GF in NYS, however the proof of birth contained in these records had no mention of parents' names. You may luck out and find exactly what you need. Do you already have the VA records? If not, I'd recommend ordering the records anyway.

For the possible benefit of others - there was a military census done in NYS. I don't know much about the census or how often it was done (since I didn't need to obtain these records), but NYS mentioned these records as being acceptable to prove DOB when having a delayed record created.

In which state did the birth occur?
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby KarenChristino » 03 Feb 2012, 17:14

My father served in WWII and apparently did NOT need an actual birth certificate to join up as there were some essential errors in his that he only corrected some years later (NYC emloyer required it). And as I found out, many of these old military records (including my GF's WWI records) were destroyed by fire. But you should be able to get older draft registrations, which have some family information.

Maybe things changed later?

Drew, are you looking for the actual certificate or just birth data?

The Social Security applications after 1937 can be ordered and have the parents' names on them. It took me some time to obtain this, but I suspect they may have required a birth record. My GF's Social Security Death Index has his Italian version name, which I have seen nowhere else and I assume came from a birth record. Though the actual application that I got has his Americanized name. But the office is not very responsive and I'm not sure how you'd go about getting something that they don't actively offer.

My GF worked for the Post Office (federal agency) for several years and they keep a permanent record. I was hoping they required a B.C. and I obtained his file, but they did not have it.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Drew927 » 04 Feb 2012, 04:09

I am actually helping a friend locate his fathers birth record. Today I learned that he did find it in the NYC municiple archives. Unfortunately it has quite a few errors.

Thanks for the replies.
Drew
Drew927
Veteran
Veteran

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship