NYC Municiple Archives errors

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

NYC Municiple Archives errors

Postby Drew927 » 04 Feb 2012, 04:20

Is there a way to have a birth certificate from the municiple archives ammended in any way?
Drew927
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NYC Municiple Archives errors

Postby rjnigro » 04 Feb 2012, 16:14

No. They will, however, upon request issue a letter, referencing the particular certificate stating they can not make any changes. The letter is issued by a Mr. Kenneth Cobb. Mention you are seeking Italian Dual citizenship. They are aware of the issues.

"Just in case" I had the letters translated and obtained an Apostille. At my appointment the errors were either not noticed or overlooked. The Consular officer did not bring them up and they remained in my bag
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJ313 » 04 Feb 2012, 23:39

Some people have been successful in getting NYC Vital records to make amendments to documents that are on file in the archives. This does require a personal trip to Vital records and if you are interested in pursuing this I will try and locate the post and get you the contact name of who to deal with at Vital records.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby garyd11 » 14 Feb 2012, 05:32

I would greatly appreciate the contact name. I had my first appointment at the NYC Consulate today and got beaten up pretty bad, even though I was quite prepared. My father's 1908 birth certificate was "perfect" except the date of birth was 11 days late. Archives gave me a letter that they wouldn't amend the document, but I desperately need that other part where they say what is should be. I have plenty of documentation to back it up. This document will be key in correcting another document which list's my grandfather's name as Alfred, the name he used in American rather than Saverio, the Italian name of his birth. Thanks!
garyd11

Postby rjnigro » 14 Feb 2012, 20:02

As mentioned, I did not have any Municipal Archive issued documents amended and the letter issued by the Municipal Archives was, in my case, sufficient.

I did have documents (BC & DC) amended at the Office of Vital Records, 125 Worth Street, Room 144 ... Room 144 is the Corrections unit, it's not the general room to obtain birth and death certificates. The person in charge of BC amendments is Katherine Lee.

Separately, you mention your father's BC was 11 days late. Late(r) from what. Usually the BC is the main document from which all other documents are viewed.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship