Question about letter to Italy requesting documents..

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ck2007

Question about letter to Italy requesting documents..

Post by ck2007 »

Hi all,

I need to start the process of dual citizenship, through my great great great grandfather (I have seen on several sites, wikipedia, and italian citizenship sites that I may do this even with that generation) The first thing I need is his birth certificate. He was born in Novara (Northern Italy) but I have no clue who to write to for this request? Does anyone have experience writing here and would know the address to send this request to and who it will be going to? Also in need of a tip, is it best to hand write or type this letter? I've already got everything translated. I also have heard that instead of sending reply coupons, just send a unstamped self addressed envelope, and in my letter offer to pay some money for their research. Will this be ok? Anyone ever written to Novara and recieved anything back? Thank you in advanced.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Question about letter to Italy requesting documents..

Post by Tessa78 »

ck2007 wrote:Hi all,

I need to start the process of dual citizenship, through my great great great grandfather (I have seen on several sites, wikipedia, and italian citizenship sites that I may do this even with that generation) The first thing I need is his birth certificate. He was born in Novara (Northern Italy) but I have no clue who to write to for this request? Does anyone have experience writing here and would know the address to send this request to and who it will be going to? Also in need of a tip, is it best to hand write or type this letter? I've already got everything translated. I also have heard that instead of sending reply coupons, just send a unstamped self addressed envelope, and in my letter offer to pay some money for their research. Will this be ok? Anyone ever written to Novara and recieved anything back? Thank you in advanced.
Novara is a village, city and a province in Piedmont Region...
AND there is also a village called Novara in the comune of Ghedi in Brescia Province, Lombardy Region...

You will need to know the EXACT town of birth for your ancestor as records are held at the town level.

If the place of birth is the CITY of NOVARA, Novara Province...
Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Rosselli, 1
28100 Novara (NO)
ITALY

Your local LDS Family History Center has microfilmed civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) available for rent and view of Novara, Novara from 1866-1923. This, of course, would not provide a certified birth record.

T.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Try this! It is from the Italian Consulate in Chicago, but it can be tailored to your Comune once you know it and know where to send the request.

http://www.conschicago.esteri.it/NR/rdo ... OMUNE1.pdf
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

I faxed a letter to one commune and received the birth certificate within 3 weeks. I sent a letter with a few dollars to another one and received the certificate within a few weeks with my dollars sent back to me. I included a self addressed envelope for that one which they used. Both letters were typed and both communes were in Sicily. If you know the exact commune you can find fax numbers and addresses online. Many commune's have their own websites where they list this info. This site has a list of all commune's and links to their websites if they have one. http://www.italyworldclub.com/

Also, Italy doesn't have a generational limit. Your ascendant just has to have been alive in 1861 when Italy became a unified country and (presumably) living in Italy at that time.