health cover in Europe

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

health cover in Europe

Post by garypeg »

I expect to be receiving my passport this year (appointment in late March in Philly). We expect to be in France or Spain when it comes in. Does anyone know the procedure for signing up for health cover when you are outside Italy and in Europe? I think you go to the Italian consulate to get the docs you need to take to the host govt (e.g. France or Spain in my case) Thanks Gary
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: health cover in Europe

Post by jennabet »

Are you planning to live permanently in France or Spain? If not, you won't be able to use your Italian passport to sign up for health care in Europe. It's not available to non residents. But you might be covered under your US plan while you're visiting.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Do plan to be there permanently. A good part of what I am reading suggests that you can not gain access to the health care system unless you have contributed. Otherwise you have to go private. But some sites say otherwise.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Absolutely incorrect about having to have contributed. Everyone permanently resident in the European Union is covered under the national healthcare systems. It's a requirement. In your case, if you are using your Italian citizenship to obtain residency in Spain or France, the Italian consulate would not be involved at all. All you need do is present your citizenship documents (passport, letter of recognition, etc.) to the authorities in your city where you would go to obtain official residence, once you have a place to live. This is the only way you can get on the healthcare system.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

That's what I want to hear. I will post some links to the contrary, mostly from UK sites but others as well. You seem absolutely certain, may I ask why? Thanks very much for the reply.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I'm an Italian citizen recognized since 2001. I've lived in Italy for ten years and recently my newly recognized Italian citizen companion joined me over here. We have permanent residence, healthcare, etc. We're retired. Never worked in Italy and never paid into the system. But we each have the PASSPORT and we get the benefits -- just as if we were born here.

Don't go by what the Brits say. They don't have Italian citizenship, nor do they have citizenship in any other EU country within the Schengen Zone. Sorry, I can't elaborate on the rules for Brits who live in the EU but outside of the UK. I just know that the rules for British citizens are different.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Ah you have actual experience. Excellent and thanks so much for the info. We are in France currently and expect to be in Spain when the passports become available so I will need to know what to do. Do you have to get some sort of card? That's what a Brit friend has but you said it could be different. Thanks so much for your reply.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Yes, you will receive a health card and will be given instructions on how to apply for it after you are officially registered as a resident in your town.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Thanks! We anticipate being in Spain at the time so we will see what happens.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Oh, if you would, please tell me the name of that card. You have been most helpful. The next birra is on us!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

In Italy the card is called "Tessera Sanitaria". Probably something similar sounding in French or Spanish. Thanks, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Thanks, very helpful. I am looking it up now. There is a wiki entry on it, chrome translated it roughly for me (I have a very basic level of Italian, quite fluent in Spanish and basic also in French). Would like to find out the rules, eg what % they pay esp when in another EU country, if we have to pay out and then get reimbursed (sometimes Brits have to do that) how much they pay if anything for prescriptions, dental as well.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

http://www.salute.gov.it/assistenzaSani ... tieservizi Seems to say that in some countries you might need to pay and then get reimbursed, France being one mentioned. Here is the wiki http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessera_sanitaria
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

In Spain it's called Tarjeta Sanitaria.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Thanks