Family History

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Family History

Postby dmlombardi » 03 Mar 2012, 12:15

Hello,
I am new at trying to find out about my Father's family history. I know his Father came from Italy around 1930. His name was Donato Lombardi and he traveled with a couple of siblings and both parents. They ended up living in Massachusetts, I believe Brighton, MA.
How can I find out more information about them in Italy?
Thank you,
Donna
dmlombardi

Re: Family History

Postby Italia1963 » 03 Mar 2012, 13:58

Hi
Sometimes ship manifests show which village a person came from. Your grandfather may also have applied at some point to become a citizen, and that lists the village, so check with the National Archives in Boston. If he didn't become a citizen by 1940, he was required to comply with the Smith Act and register as an Alien. Immigration Services would have a copy of the document.
I was able to find my ancestors home village by our family having an old photograph of a relative and on the back, by chance, it listed the village. Maybe an older relative of yours has documents or photographs that may give you clues.
The 1940 census is coming out in another month, and while it doesnt say the home village, census records sometimes list what was the year of arrival and if your grandfather is a citizen or not.
If Lombardi is your surname, it seems to be a popular name and spread throughout Italy whereas some names you can pinpoint at least the region where a family comes from.
Good luck.
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Family History

Postby dmlombardi » 03 Mar 2012, 19:38

Apparently Loreto was my Grandfather Donato's brother and their parents, Domenico and Lucia (De Angelis) came from San Donato Val Di Comino, town south of Rome in the Lazio region. Thank you for responding Italia1963.
dmlombardi

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship