Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Citizenship

Postby castle34 » 04 Apr 2012, 18:34

My children are applying for Italian citizenship through their paternal grandfather who was born in Italy. Their father however is listed on his birth certificate as Donato. All other papers list his name as Daniel, a name he has used all his life. How can I prove to the Italian authorities that Donato and Daniel are the same person?

On the same subject, the last name of my grandfather is listed in his Italian birth record as Lucia. By the time he emigrated to the U.S. his last name was De Lucia. Will this cause a problem with Italian authorities? Again, how can I prove that both these last names refer to the same individual?

Thanks for a reply.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Citizenship

Postby JJ313 » 04 Apr 2012, 21:59

As with most things regarding citizenship the answer will depend on which consulate you are applying. NY takes a strict view and considers many things to be an issue that other consulates do not. First name Anglicizations are one of those issues. Misspelling of last names can be an issue everywhere but the one you describe may not be as it may not be in the direct line. The way I understand your description of the lineage Is that your children are applying GF->F->children and you are their mother. If this is the case then De Lucia is not in their direct line and is less likely to be an issue. If I have misinterpreted the line please correct.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby castle34 » 05 Apr 2012, 00:42

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you are correct in your interpretation of my question.

If the New York Consulate holds a strict view of my husband's variance in names, do you know of any way to prove both names apply to the same person? Could the the city in which he was born attest to this? Or perhaps the church in which he was baptized? If so, would the Italian Consulate accept either of these?

Or is is advisable to contact the Italian consulate and ask it for a solution to the problem, if there is a problem?

Thanks for your reply.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJ313 » 06 Apr 2012, 00:40

Your husband's name is easy to correct. The both of you can supply an affidavit to the effect that Daniel is Donato. If this is not acceptable to the consulate you can easily amend the children's BC to to say Donato. Another alternative would be for your husband to legally change his name to Daniel prior to your appointment.

It is difficult to get the consulates to answer questions which help to keep forums like this in business. :) You may want to schedule your appointment now as NY has a long wait. Some people have made multiple appointments to allow them to get corrections in without waiting for a new appointment.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship