*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Addressing Inconsistencies

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Addressing Inconsistencies

Postby LDL707 » 08 Apr 2012, 08:54

I am gathering the documents to apply for recognition of my Italian citizenship jure sanguinis. As I've been doing so, I've come across a couple of inconsistencies. Several of these are major, but the majority of them are pretty minor. The line that I'm using is GGGrandfather - GGrandfather - Grandfather - Father - Me. Only a very few of these inconsistencies directly involve somebody in the line that I am using. They are marked with a **. The inconsistencies are:

Major:
**My great-grandfather changed his name. He used both names interchangeably for a while, and then legally changed it later in life. My plan is to amend his death certificate to reflect his AKAs. Will that, combined with the court order changing his name, be enough? Even if there are recorded instances of him using the two names interchangeably before he legally changed it?

Minor:
My father's mother used both a French name and an anglicized version of the same name (Jeanine and Joan) throughout her life.

My father's maternal grandparents' names are misspelled on several documents. These are very minor (Rudolph vs. Rudolf and things like doubled letters).

My great-grandfather's wife's name is misspelled in several places (Rose vs. Rosa, and her Slavic surname spelled with a C in some places, and a CZ in others). Also, her place of birth, and her parents' names and places of birth are different on different documents.

Possibly Major:

**My Great-Great-Grandfather is listed as Pietro on some documents, and as Peter on others, without an official name change.

**My GGrandmother's death certificate names my GGrandfather incorrectly. (Not even close.)

My GGGrandmother's name is incorrect on my GGrandfather's marriage certificate. (Angelina vs. Maria). My GGrandmother also listed her mother's surname incorrectly. (Duchon vs Mackovica)

My GGrandmother died when my Grandfather was very young. As such, he listed his stepmother on his birth certificate as his mother. (He may not have even known that she wasn't his biological mother at the time.)

I will be applying through the Chicago consulate. Should I be concerned about these inconsistencies? The vast majority of them don't concern the ancestor in the direct line, so I feel like they shouldn't be that big of a deal, right? What about the other ones though? I doubt that I'd be able to amend a hundred year old death certificate.

Finally, does my plan for resolving the Great-grandfather dual name fiasco sound reasonable? Is there anything else I should be doing?
LDL707

Re: Addressing Inconsistencies

Postby JJ313 » 08 Apr 2012, 17:10

Your GGGF name change is likely to be sufficient to deal with the issue, amending the DC can't hurt but is not necessary.

The indirect line inconsistencies should not matter in Chicago.

Did you mean your GF MC and not BC. It would be difficult for him to fill out his BC. :) If he listed the wrong person on his MC you should be able to clarify with the correct information by showing DC of GM and remarriage of GGF.

You did not mention any naturalization documents being an issue. Have you completed your search and found all the necessary documents without any errors?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship