RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Post by JJ313 »

When you call abtran to make your appointment inform them that your husband, you and your three children would like to apply together. They will most likely schedule consecutive appointments for you. If they do that then all of you should go together to the consulate and they will likely take you all together. As Mier said you will only need one set of documents.

As an alternative you could schedule an appointment for your husband and you only. They might give you an appointment sooner. Have your children also make an appointment that is after your appointment. They would reference your husband's file so they would not need to duplicate the documents for submission.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Well I have finally made an appointment for my husband at the Italian onsulate in New York. Everyone was right. It is not until May 2013. The Italian Consulate said I could not apply untl my husband received his citizenship.

It also said that documents translated frorm English into Italian must be translated by certified translators. A list of them is on the site it gave me. Also, the translations must be notarized.

The website the Consulate gave me is http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it. The Consulate representative said that I would find out all the information I need to know on the site. I have searched all over it bt cannot find any info on wha documents that are needed, what must be done with them. what to bring to the Consulate for the appointment. There is a statemnt on the site that I can find out all the information I need to know. But so far I have ben unable to locate anything.

HELP!!!!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Go to the site they gave you (note that on every page you have the option to switch to English - on the upper right).

Click on "consular services."

Click on "citizenship."

Click on "citizenship through ancestors - jure sanguinis".

Your husband falls into Category 3, and all the information for that category is listed in this section.

(Forms 1 - 4 can be downloaded at the end of this section. You will not need all of them.)
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

The appointments in NY are made by Abtran, an independent service based in Ireland. The people there are not consulate officials and often give incorrect or misleading information. The only thing you should rely on from abtran is the appointment date and time.

As Mier said the NY website contains all the forms and instructions. This is a good place to start but should be supplemented by the experiences off others who have been through the mill so to speak. In all likelihood the individual you spoke with did not pick up on the fact that you were married prior to 1983 and therefore your citizenship would not require a jure matrimoni application. When you get closer to the appointment send an email to the consulate informing them that you are applying as well and you should accompany your husband to the appointment and apply with him.

As for translations, the party line is that they must be performed by certified translators on the approved list. This is the safest route to take. If you use one of the "approved" translators you have no risk of rejection. You can use any translator and you can self translate your documents however you run the risk of the translations being rejected. You have plenty of time to think about translators, for now you should focus on accumulating the documents. You should hold off on getting apostilles and translations until you have all the documents. In some cases documents have errors that need correcting.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Note too that the consulate's instructions specifically state that you are permitted to do your own translations. If you or your husband are sufficiently fluent in Italian (or if you have a friend or relative who is) this is a much more cost-effective approach. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, take JJ313's advice and stick with the translator's on the list.

I did my own translations with my husband's help, and NY accepted them without question. If you are considering this route, you may want to take a look at some of the translation templates posted at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

I totally agree with JJ313. Since you obtained citizenship automatically through marriage, you should certainly be able to apply with your husband.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question

Post by castle34 »

Does anone know if Italian citizenship can be denied because of thngs kike bad credit ratings, bankrupcies or (God forbid) arrest records?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

For jure sanquinis citizenship the items you mentioned would not cause a denial of citizenship, nor would they cause loss of citizenship once recognized. For jure matimoni cases a criminal background check is required but your credit is not an issue.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Well, we finally made an appointment for May 2013. But the representative at the Consulate told us that Italian translations must be done by a certified translator and must be notarized and apostilled. A list of certified translators (all in New York)is located at the website: consnewyork.esteri.it.

The representative also said that a list of documents needed would be at the same site. But I cannot locate it. If my husband is seeking citizenship through his father who was born in Italy, can anyone direct me to a complete list of necessary dicuments? My nephew is seeking ctizenship through his Italian maternal grandmother. He seems to think that only his and his grandmother's birth certificate are necessary.

My husband is seeking citizenship through his father who was born in Italy. I have seen a list that says the required documents are: birth and death certificates of his father, birth and death certificates of his mother (born in the U.S.) their marriage certificate (in U.S.), my husband's birth certificate (born in the U.S.), my birth certificate (born in the U.S.) and our marriage certificate (in the U.S.). All documents must be translated into Italian by a certified tranlator, notarized and apostilled. Can anyone tell me who is correct?

Thanks.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

To JJ313 Thanks for your very quick repy. I was just curious about what would happen in these circumstances. In further curiosity, what is jure matrimoni?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Here is a link to the NY consulate website's jure sanquinis page:

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... a/iure.htm

Your nephew is not correct he will need his GM MC and DC, his mother's BC, MC and DC as well as his BC and MC if applicable. If applicable he would need divorce records. If his mother was born before 1948 he could not use that line (GM->M->).

In your list of documents for your husband all documents (except for his mother's BC) that you mentioned are required.

You can have the documents translated by anyone but you run the risk of them being rejected unless you use one of the approved translators.

Jure matrimoni - after 4/27/1983 citizenship was not automatic. In order to qualify a spouse can apply for citizenship after 3 years of marriage (less time if they live in Italy or have children). A criminal background check is required.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Thank you for the link But I must be getting senile. There is no info on the page, just the statement that "Much more information is available in English on this site." Am I missing something? The page is in English.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I tried to post the link again but I can't get it to work.

If you go to the main page in English and select Consiular Services, then Citizenship, then scroll down and select Italian Citizenship through Ancestors (jure Sanquinis) it will bring you to the page you need.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Now I know I am getting senile. I went t the link consnewyork.isteri.it. I clicked on Consular Servces (top middle). The next page op left had info on how to make an appointmentat the consulate. Top right had a list of services, the first Registry Office. I clicked on Citizenship (on this list).

The next page showed sowed no option for Citizenship through ancestry. On the bottoom left was an optuion for Citizenship through ancesty. I clicked on that and an akmost blank age came up, with the sentence about more information being on the English version page.

Help!!! What am I doing wrong??????
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The options should appear on the left of the page. After you click on "consular services," scroll down until you see the citizenship option on the left. After you click this option, you will see information for scheduling an appointment, and beneath this explanation, the various ways that citizenship can be obtained. Click "citizenship through ancestry," and that should get you there.

BTW, the people who schedule appointments don't always provide accurate information. Stick with the instructions on the website. Self translations are acceptable.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I am not sure what the problem is exactly but it could be an issue where you have to clear your history and cookies in your browser. I copied the page and posted it here.

Italian citizenship through ancestors (iure sanguinis)

For descendants of Italian citizens who wish to have their Italian citizenship recognized:

Who may apply
Information for non-residents
Information for residents
General requirements
Incorrect certificates
Documents issued in the U.S.A.
Documents issued in countries other than the U.S.A.
Appointments
Download the forms 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF), in collaboration with the Embassy of Italy, has prepared a questionnaire on Italian Citizenship for Americans of Italian descent.
The questionnaire aims at easing the search and verifying whether a US citizen of Italian descent is entitled to have Italian citizenship.

Dual Citizenship
Italians who acquired US citizenship have to declare it at the Consulate, presenting the following documents: certificate of naturalization, Italian passport or Italian certificate of birth and American passport or any other valid I.D. You can also register it by mail, providing copies of the above mentioned documents.

WHO MAY APPLY
If you are resident within the jurisdiction of the Italian Consulate in New York: the Municipality of New York City, the State of New York, the State of Connecticut and the British Territories of Bermuda Islands, you may apply for Italian citizenship at the Consulate General of Italy in New York.

If you were born in the United States you may also be considered an Italian citizen if any one of the situations listed below pertains to you:

Category 1: your father was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth and you never renounced your right to Italian citizenship;
Category 2:  your mother was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, you were born after January 1, 1948, and you never renounced your right to Italian citizenship;
Category 3: your father was born in the United States or a Country other than Italy, your paternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of your father’s birth, neither you nor your father ever renounced your right to the Italian citizenship;
Category 4: your mother was born in the United States or a Country other than Italy, your maternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of your mother’s birth, you were born after January 1, 1948 and neither you nor your mother ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship;
Category 5: your paternal or maternal grandparents were born in the United States from Italian parents and they never renounced their right to Italian citizenship. (Please note: the Italian mother can transfer her Italian citizenship only to children born after 01/01/1948).
NOTE:
To determine if you are eligible for Italian citizenship, the Italian Consulate must look at the law that was in effect at the time of your birth. Individuals can become citizens under several very different sections of law or can automatically lose the citizenship through the naturalization of either of the parents.
If you are claiming citizenship through an Italian citizen mother or grandmother, you must provide information about your father or grandfather, because Italian citizenship may be affected by the naturalization of their respective spouses.

INFORMATION FOR NON-RESIDENTS
If you are not a legal resident in the jurisdiction of the Italian Consulate in New York (New York City, State of New York, State of Connecticut and British Territories of Bermuda Islands) your application for citizenship must be filed with the appropriate Consular Office or the Town Hall in Italy of where you reside.

However, if your documents are issued in New York City, in the State of New York, in the State of Connecticut and in the British Territories of Bermuda Islands, you must obtain from U.S. Vital Records Offices the appropriate certificates that are in accordance with the Law. All documents must bear an Apostille of the Secretary of State of the State where the document was issued and a certified notarized translation. 
In order to obtain the official validation of this Consulate, we offer the following options:

1) By mail:

• send a letter indicating the purpose of your request, along with the original vital records documents, legalized with the Apostille and translated into Italian, plus 1 set of copies (please consult our website www.consnewyork.esteri.it, click on Consular Services, then on Vital records for detailed information);
• a copy of a valid passport and credit card information (American Express card not accepted), including the expiration date in payment of the fees, which we are not able to quantify, as it depends on the number of documents and the number of pages. A receipt will be mailed to you with the documents;
• a pre-paid self addressed envelope for the return of the documentation to you;
• the document validation form completed, signed and notarized.

2) By personal appearance:

NOTE: Appointments will be scheduled based on the workload of this office and not based on the appointment date you may have scheduled with the Consular Office where you are presenting your application for citizenship. No exceptions will be made. If you are unable to attend the scheduled appointment, you will be required to use the mail service, exclusively.

• send an e mail to cittadinanza.newyork@esteri.it, to request an appointment, listing the individual certificates that require the legalization. The documents must be in the format as specified above. On the date of your appointment you must present one set of originals, plus one copy. Payment of the fee can be made in the form of cash or credit card (American Express Card not accepted);

List of translators

For more information please see the Section Vital Records
For more information please see the Section Apostille
Please, be aware that Italian Consulates are not authorized to obtain certificates from U.S. Vital Records Offices.
If you are unable to obtain vital records certificates, you can either request them online at Health State - Vital Records (for New York State) or Department of Public Health (for Connecticut). You can also refer to Patronati (aid societies).

Applicants residing in Italy must submit the application for citizenship at the Town Hall of where they reside and must follow the instructions specified above.

INFORMATION FOR RESIDENTS
Forms and documents required

If category 1 applies to you, the following documents are required, all in original:

FORM 1

A) YOUR FATHER'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
Write to the "Comune" where your father was born, request a birth certificate in the form of "estratto dell’atto di nascita" (showing his father's and mother's names). You can find the address at Comuni Italiani.
When writing to the Comune address your request to:
COMUNE di …………………
Ufficio Anagrafe-Stato Civile
(Zip code) City – Italy-

B) YOUR MOTHER'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
Same as above. If instead she was born in the U.S.A., the "long form" birth certificate legalized with the "Apostille" is required.

C) YOUR PARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
Same as above. If instead the marriage took place in the U.S.A., you must obtain a “long/extended form” marriage certificate legalized with the Apostille.
If applicable, you are required to provide the final judgement of divorce or, in case of death of spouse, the certificate of death.

D) CERTIFICATES OF NATURALIZATION
can be requested from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 
1800–375 5283 

1. if your father/mother became a U.S. citizen, you must provide a certified copy of the U.S. certificate of naturalization showing full name, place of birth and date of birth, date of naturalization, certificate number. You may also be required to present a certified copy of “petition for naturalization” and “oath of allegiance”;
2. if he/she never became a US citizen, you must provide a), b) and c):

a) an Official statement issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, specifying that he/she never became a U.S. citizen. Such document must show, as confirmation, the full name with all aliases, the date and place of birth.
b) you are also required to do an extensive search with the National Archives. The National Archives will have to provide a letter of confirmation which contains full name with all aliases, the date and place of birth.
c) census record may provide additional information relevant to your case: Immigration Records, Naturalization Records, Ship Passenger Lists, Military records, U.S. Passport applications, Voter Lists Record and other;

If available, please provide Italian passport and Alien Registration Card;

E) YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE must be submitted in "long form", legalized with the Apostille from the Secretary of State of the State in which it was issued.

F) YOUR DECLARATION THAT YOU NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all your places of residence and relative years. Your signature must be notarized. Copy of your passport and proof of residence (driver licence and utility bills ect.) are requested. Use FORM 2

G) YOUR FATHER'S/MOTHER’S DEATH CERTIFICATE, if applicable, is to be submitted in the long form format and legalized with Apostille.

If your father/mother became a naturalized U.S. citizen before your birth, you are not eligible for Italian citizenship

If category 2 applies to you, you must follow the same instructions as indicated in category 1), but in this case the documents will be regarding your mother;

If category 3 applies to you, the following documents are required:

FORM 1
YOUR PATERNAL GRANDPARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL GRANDFATHER’S CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION AND PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION
YOUR PARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PARENTS’ MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR DECLARATION THAT YOU NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all your places of residence and relative years. Your signature must be notarized. Copy of your passport and proof of residence (driver licence and utility bills) are requested.
DECLARATION THAT YOUR FATHER NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all places of residence and relative years.
If living use FORM 3, if deceased use FORM 4.
ANY PERTINENT DEATH CERTIFICATE/S RELATED TO ITALIAN ASCENDENTS.
If your paternal grandfather became a naturalized U.S. citizen before your father’s birth, you are not eligible for Italian citizenship

If category 4 applies to you, the following documents are required:

FORM 1
YOUR MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR MATERNAL GRANDFATHER’S CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION AND
PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION
YOUR PARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PARENTS’ MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR DECLARATION THAT YOU NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE
ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all your places of residence and relative years. Your signature must be notarized. Copy of your passport and proof of residence (driver licence and utility bills ect.) are requested.
DECLARATION THAT YOUR MOTHER NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all places of residence and relative years . If living use FORM 3, if deceased use FORM 4;
ANY PERTINENT DEATH CERTIFICATE/S RELATED TO THE ITALIAN ASCENDANTS
If your maternal grandfather became a naturalized U.S. citizen before your mother’s birth, you are not eligible for Italian citizenship

If category 5 applies to you, the following documents are required:

FORM 1
YOUR PATERNAL OR MATERNAL GREAT GRANDPARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE (from Italy)
YOUR PATERNAL OR MATERNAL GREAT GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL OR MATERNAL GREAT GRANDFATHERS’ CERTIFICATE OF
NATURALIZATION AND PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL PARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL PARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR DECLARATION THAT YOU NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE
ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all your places of residence and relative years. Your signature must be notarized. Copy of your passport and proof of residence (driver licence and utility bills ect.) are requested. Use FORM 2
DECLARATION THAT YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all places of residence and relative years. If living use FORM 3, if deceased use FORM 4
DECLARATION THAT YOUR FATHER/MOTHER NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all places of residence and relative years.
If living use FORM 3, if deceased use FORM 4
ANY PERTINENT DEATH CERTIFICATE/S RELATED TO THE ITALIAN ASCENDANTS.
If your great grandfather became a naturalized U.S. citizen before your grandfather or grandmother’s birth, you are not eligible for Italian citizenship.

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
You are required to fill out all forms that pertain to your category.
You must present original documents and one set of photocopies.

All certificates must be in "long form" or “extended form” which can be obtained at your local Vital Statistics Office of the State in which the birth/marriage/death took place. Certificates reporting only the "County" of birth cannot be accepted.

U.S. birth/marriage/death records must bear an Apostille of the Secretary of State of the State where the document was issued. Petition for naturalization and/or “no record” certificates must be in certified copy.

All certificates must be submitted with the official translation in Italian language except the Apostille.
Documents that do not need to be translated are the U.S. Certificates of Naturalization and the letter of no naturalization records issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Some US vital record offices may require applicants to provide a letter of the Consulate stating a reason for the request of certificates relevant to the applicants’ ancestors. We regret to inform you that we cannot authorize any American Government Office to issue such records. We can only suggest that you present a copy of this information kit to motivate your request.

Incorrect certificates
It is your responsibility to make sure that all documents contain the correct information with regard to names, last names, dates and places of birth, and that such information matches in all submitted papers. Incorrect certificates may delay processing of your application or affect your eligibility for Italian citizenship. If there are too significant differences in the certificates, please provide an official statement from a Court Judge or a Vital Statistic Officer asserting the true and correct information.

Documents issued in the U.S.A.
Documents which have not been issued within this consular jurisdiction must be validated by the Italian Consulate where the documents were issued. To access the Italian consular network, please visit the website of Italian Ministry of foreign Affairs.
Documents bearing the Apostille are accepted for legal use in several countries, including Italy and the United States where the Hague Convention of December 5th, 1961, has entered into force. The Apostille is the legalization provided by the Office of the Secretary of State where the document/certificate is issued. It is an official seal affixed on the certificate which makes the document valid abroad.

Documents issued in countries other than the U.S.A.
For documents issued in countries where the Hague Convention is not in force, you should refer to the Italian Consulate in the area of the issuing Country. For further Information, you may visit the web site of Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Appointments
To schedule an appointment, please contact the call center at:
Premium rate: 1900-446-2244
Credit Card: 1800-686-4446
at the cost of $2.49 per minute.
Calls are answered from 8.00 a.m to 6.00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

This service is handled by Abtran

DOWNLOAD THE FORMS 

Form 1 
Form 2 
Form 3 
Form 4