Marriage certificate not found

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage certificate not found

Post by lisahickey »

I am looking for a marriage certificate for my aunt from Naples in 1967 or 1968 - she is American and applying for citizenship in Italy through descent. Her first marriage took place in Naples (to an American), and she has since divorced, remarried and had a child, who would also like to apply for citizenship. I have her divorce certificate from NYC, but have not been able to get the marriage certificate from Naples. I sent them a letter in September and never heard back. I then hired someone in Italy to search for the marriage certificate, but he has replied to me that Naples was not able to find any such record, and that a marriage between the two parties must not have occurred in Naples from 1960-1970. However, we know this is not the case. Naples sent an official document saying that they did not have any record of such a marriage to him, and he has emailed it to me. My question is, what do we do now? Will this satisfy the NYC consulate that no marriage record can be found but since we have the divorce documents and cert of no appeal, will we be OK? If not, does anyone have any advice about how to proceed? Thanks in advance!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Marriage certificate not found

Post by suanj »

The marriage certificate of a living person can be request just from your aunt and not by you;
that for privacy law;

also it is necessary to provide at civil records officer a italian stamp duty of 14,62 euros ( that from 1 Jan 2012); in some Commune it is possible to pay on line the stamp duty and the certificate fee; I know not abt Napoli, but seeming that it is possible..

So the better way is that your aunt send a email to Napoli in italian language ( servizionline @ comune.napoli.it ) asking as to make the right request on line for to obtain the her marriage certificate and also to pay on line (by credit card)the stamp duty, certificate fee, and postage;
also to attach at email the picture of your aunt ID card... and to wait the reply...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I believe this transaction falls within one of the exemptions from tax, so no stamp or fee would be required. There is no harm (other than the reduction in your net worth) :( from paying the tax. The certificate will still be accepted by the consulate.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

Thank you - we will try this and hope to hear back from them!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JJ313 wrote:I believe this transaction falls within one of the exemptions from tax, so no stamp or fee would be required. There is no harm (other than the reduction in your net worth) :( from paying the tax. The certificate will still be accepted by the consulate.
Maybe I not explained very well; inItaly, from 1th jan 2012 all civil certificates that must be delivered in some Italian government office, well they must be replaced by self-certifications ( with all precise data, otherwise legal sanction);
in all different case the civil certificate needs of stamp duty for to be relayed by civil records office( I know very well because just yesterday I spoken with the civil records officer in my town).

Now the question is: the Italian Consulate in USA accept a self-certification by Lisa's aunt? I believe that the Italian Consulate in USA not accept a self-certification.
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

We emailed Naples, but they said we have to request the certificate by mail. However, when we did this, we never heard back from them. Anyone have any ideas?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

.....Now the question is: the Italian Consulate in USA accept a self-certification by Lisa's aunt? I believe that the Italian Consulate in USA not accept a self-certification.Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.....

Yes, you are correct, Suanj. Italy will accept a self-certification from an Italian citizen but the person in question is not an Italian citizen, therefore the consulate will not accept this.

And thank you for explaining about one of the many, many changes taking place in Italy since the beginning of 2012. 2012 is the year of change in Italy due to the austerity measures the government has imposed in order to improve the economy.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I am a little confused as to how this rule is applied. If an individual is applying for citizenship and they request the BC of their GGF from a comune in Italy to be presented to the NY consulate does the tax apply? If I obtain a copy of my Italian BC for my daughter to present to the SF consulate would the tax apply? Under what circumstances would I have to pay the tax for my MC? Are the rules posted somewhere? Thanks for your assistance.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

Does anyone have any advice about how to get the marriage certificate I need from Naples? I sent a letter but got no reply, I emailed, but was told I need to request it by mail.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Lisa, I know you have already sent one letter, but try writing Naples again, reference and include a copy of your email and also state why you need this information. Include a self addressed envelope, funds to cover any fees and some postage (either IRCs or some cash preferably euros). It can take several months somtetimes to get a response from a comune.