Italian Migration to Gold Fields of Melbourne Australia

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Coralie

Italian Migration to Gold Fields of Melbourne Australia

Post by Coralie »

Could someone please give me an understanding of what ports in Italy men would have left from to sail to Melbourne, Australia. My GGF Giovanni Francesco VIVIANI left for Australia in 1859 or 1860 at age 20 or 21. He was a gold miner and died in 1880 at the age of 41 in a gold mine when it collapsed onto him in the Crooked River area. We understand that most ships at that stage sailed into Port Philip Melbourne. The only information we have is that Giovanni was born in Conca, Italy. One of the forum believes that it could Conca dei Marini. What would the nearest Port to Conca dei Marini be?

Are there any Italian Census Records that can be accessed to try and locate Giovanni's parents - Joseph and Madelina Viviani?

Any help to get more understanding would be appreciated.

Coralie
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italian Migration to Gold Fields of Melbourne Australia

Post by Tessa78 »

Coralie wrote:Could someone please give me an understanding of what ports in Italy men would have left from to sail to Melbourne, Australia. My GGF Giovanni Francesco VIVIANI left for Australia in 1859 or 1860 at age 20 or 21. He was a gold miner and died in 1880 at the age of 41 in a gold mine when it collapsed onto him in the Crooked River area. We understand that most ships at that stage sailed into Port Philip Melbourne. The only information we have is that Giovanni was born in Conca, Italy. One of the forum believes that it could Conca dei Marini. What would the nearest Port to Conca dei Marini be?

Are there any Italian Census Records that can be accessed to try and locate Giovanni's parents - Joseph and Madelina Viviani?

Any help to get more understanding would be appreciated.

Coralie
Hello :-D

Conca dei Marini is a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of south-western Italy. It is situated in the Amalfi Coast.

I believe the nearest port for emigration might have been Naples.

HOWEVER...
There are other possibilities for the town... and some are on the east coast of Italy.

Conca, comune of Marsala - province: Trapani - region: Sicily
Conca, comune of Montefiore Conca - province: Rimini - region: Emilia Romagna
Conca, comune of Pettorano Sul Gizio - province: L'Aquila - region: Abruzzo
Conca Casale, comune of Conca Casale - province: Isernia - region: Molise
Conca d'Albero, comune of Correzzola - province: Padova - region: Veneto
Conca d'Oro, comune of Palagiano - province: Taranto - region: Puglia
Conca Dei Marini, comune of Conca Dei Marini - province: Salerno - region: Campania
Conca Dei Parpari, comune of Rovere' Veronese - province: Verona - region: Veneto
Conca della Campania, comune of Conca della Campania - province: Caserta - region: Campania

According to this Wiki article...
Through the 1840s and 1850s, the number of Italian migrants of peasant background who came for economic reasons increased. Nevertheless, they did not come from the landless, poverty-stricken agricultural working class but from rural families with at least sufficient means to pay their fare to Australia. Rando reports that a group of artisans skilled in terrazzo work 'apparently' settled in Melbourne, and stonemasons from Lombardy arrived to build a French-style village at Hunters Hill near Sydney.[citation needed] Furthermore, in the late 1850s, some 2,000 Swiss Italians of Australia from Northern Italy migrated to the Victorian goldfields.

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Italian Migration to Gold Fields of Melbourne Australia

Post by PippoM »

Coralie,
I sent you a private message.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.