Paris Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

Paris Consulate

Post by reboot365 »

I have an appointment coming up in June at the NYC consulate. I managed to nearly get everything done, but there's one thing I couldn't fix in time because I need a court order (my GGF in my direct line anglicized his first and last name on my GM's BC). So, I plan on still going in case for some freak reason they accept my application, and to see if there's anything else they're not happy with.

But then things get more complicated. I'm moving to Paris a few months after the appointment, long term. So after I move, I plan on setting up an appointment there (I'm guessing the wait time will be shorter). Does anyone have any experience dealing with this consulate? Do you think they might be more lenient than NYC? What do you think they do when it comes to confirming naturalization (My impression is that the US consulates just check, but don't send in, the naturalization paperwork)?

And in general, let's say NYC rejects my application. Most of my documents come from NYS, so I didn't need to get them legalized ahead of time. At the end of my appointment, should I ask for them to legalize them (as in, right then if possible) so that they can be used in Paris? Or would Paris not worry about this?
mikeconte

Re: Paris Consulate

Post by mikeconte »

Yes, the paris consulate requires that NY documents be "legalized" for all vital records. This means they are apostilled and translated correctly.

They will also request the NY Consulate approve any records as being of the correct form, ie a birth certificate is in fact a birth certificate.
Holies

Re: Paris Consulate

Post by Holies »

Yup, still true. NY docs do need to be legalized. My bro went there 2 weeks ago.
mikeconte wrote:Yes, the paris consulate requires that NY documents be "legalized" for all vital records. This means they are apostilled and translated correctly.

They will also request the NY Consulate approve any records as being of the correct form, ie a birth certificate is in fact a birth certificate.