*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Amending NYC marriage certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Amending NYC marriage certificate

Postby Lipani » 13 May 2012, 02:39

Hello everyone! I'm wondering if you could help me with a particular problem I ran into while applying for Italian citizenship at the consulate in San Francisco. My grandfather went from Giacomo to James and the consulate says I have to amend the record before submitting my application. To complicate things more, he went by Jacob on the Census reports before getting married. I called the office in NYC and they said I cannot amend the record, only my grandparents can. Both have been deceased for over 20 years. What can I do?

Thank you!
Lipani

Re: Amending NYC marriage certificate

Postby droe » 17 May 2012, 21:32

I had the same problem with my grandparents marriage license. The State of NY has a form to make corrections to forms. I completed the form for the marriage license and while the request was denied they did send back a letter stating it was the names they were using at the time.

Next step was to get a judge to examine all the records and show a clear path that my grandfather spelling his name two different ways to generate a letter that he was one and the same person who used both spellings or names. The NYC consulate accepted this letter from the judge along with the letter from the state.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas on how to proceed.
droe
Rookie
Rookie

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship