*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Helping my niece gain jure sanguinis citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Helping my niece gain jure sanguinis citizenship

Postby phil100a » 15 May 2012, 05:13

Hi, everyone...

I was approved last year, in San Francisco. My niece want to follow me - she has all her docs, and will be applying via the LA Consulate. She will only need her docs, because all the other stuff down the line to my GF was approved in San Francisco.

My niece' direct line is GGF-GF-Mother. Her mother lives in NY. Thus, her mother will have to fill out Form 3 (attached), as the most recent 'living ascendant'.

One of the things that confuses me about FORM 3 (I didn't have to fill it out for my app, as my late father was in my direct line), is that it states the following.... "In reference to the applicant's (my niece) request for Italian citizenship, 'Jure Sanguinis', and being aware that the undersigned (my sister) will also obtain his/her own recognition of Italian citizenship" DECLARES....etc. etc .etc.

Question: My niece mother (my sister) is not applying, and if she was, she would have to go through NY; however, does my sister (the applicant's mother) automatically gain citizenship if her daughter gains it? It just occurred to me that this *might be possible*, because all the docs that my sister would need are either pre-approved in my app (from last year, in San Francisco), and fully complete via her daughter's application. The only thing that would be missing for my sister would be the general application. If my surmise is correct, should my niece also bring a completed application from her mother to the LA Consulate - or not?

Or, should I NOT worry about what FORM 3 says about my sister becoming a citizen. Is this just poor wording? I'm confused, and so is my niece. :?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Phil
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Helping my niece gain jure sanguinis citizenship

Postby mler » 15 May 2012, 17:56

My father also had to complete Form 3 when my son and I applied; however my father's citizenship was not recognized when ours was. I think that this phrase simply means that in the process of extending citizenship recognition to your niece, it will be determined that her mother is a citizen who has the option of requesting recognition on her own behalf. Her mother, however, would have to apply in NY since she resides in that jurisdiction.
mler
Master
Master

Postby JJ313 » 15 May 2012, 19:18

I had the same situation with my father (NY resident), he completed form 3 and the consulate in Detroit asked me if he was applying. I responded no and we proceeded.

Keep in mind that the consulates are not obligated to follow what the other consulates do. NY is not obligated to follow LA if your mother decides she wants to apply after you are recognized. NY will likely review her case and apply their version of document discrepancy to her application, which could lead to amendments if there are discrepancies that they do not accept.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby phil100a » 30 May 2012, 11:43

Thanks all - very helpful!
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship