Certifying Translations - Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Certifying Translations - Citizenship

Post by anima87ag »

Hello to all,

Thanks so much for the help thus far. I am now reaching the phase of translating my official US docs into Italian. I might have a friend translate on my behalf. Now, I was told all I have to do is take the original long-form docs with the Apostille and attach the translation along with the credit card info to process at NYC Consulate.

1) But, I became more puzzled when the NYC Consulate said that I have to get another Apostille on these translations??

Throughout researching this forum and other sites, I was never told such a thing. The phases were authentication, Apostille, and then translation at the local Consulate... right?

2) Also, it would be very useful if someone knew how many pages of the final divorce judgement had to be translated? My doc is 15 pages or so and I also heard that only 1-3 pages need to be provided. The NYC Italian Consulate isn't much aid and I would appreciate the help!

Mille grazie!!! :D
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Certifying Translations - Citizenship

Post by JJ313 »

Which consulate are you applying? I assume from your questions that you are not applying in NY but have documents that originate within NY's jurisdiction. If this is the case you do not have to have an Apostille on your translations. You would send your apostilled documents with translation to the NY consulate for authentication. I am not sure of the translation requirements for a divorce decree and would have to defer to someone else.

Can you post the email or information from NY telling you to have the translations apostilled?
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Buon giorno!

Thanks for the reply. Well, I am indeed applying at the consulate in London within a month's time.

Yes, my documents originate in NY which I guess now means I wouldn't have to apply for a second Apostille? Phew! 8)

"Just as indicated in our website, which you are kindly requested to consult under the heading Vital Records, to make sure that you have all the correct documentation, the translation is intended for the complete document, which is not in any event complete as it requires additional documentation listed in the section mentioned above.
This office cannot answer your question regarding Notaries as it is a US entity.You will need to check with the
m."

Ufficio cittadinanza

Actually, in the email (see above) they simply deferred me to the website which is also very unclear. By telephone, I was told that I had to get an additional Apostille.

It would be great if anyone knew about the divorce decree. A private consultant once told me that the doc is just 1-3 pages and meanwhile mine is 15+.

Molte grazie! :D
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

You do not need a second apostille for your NY documents. I don't know about the divorce requirements however I can say that with my marriage certificate (NYC) I translated the the 2 pages and sent it to NY for authentication and they sent it back with a single page translation of their own. So absent some advice from someone with direct experience in translating a divorce decree, I would translate the entire document and let them do the rest.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Thanks again for the information. It's good to hear that no second Apostille is needed.

By any chance, would you be able to assist me with my translations? (If you happen to be fluent in Italian before I resort to Google!)

I would like to be certain I have the proper translation for NYC consulate.

Many thanks!
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I am not sure how much I could add but if you want me to look at them I can give you my two cents worth of translating skills. :)
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Yes, absolutely. Any two cents would be great. If you managed to get them approved at NYC consulate, you must have done something right. :)

Can you please give me your email address? I will forward you the docs. Thanks again!
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Sorry, for some reason the pdf file will not upload, so if you could message me another address to send to! Thanks!