Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Birth Certificate

Postby ericderrico » 16 May 2012, 13:41

Hi all,

I received via email a pdf copy of my GGF's birth certificate in Italy.

http://derricogenealogy.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/pasquale-svelto-birth-certificate.pdf

In applying for Italian Citizenship, will a copy such as this suffice or do I need to press on and receive an original certified copy (even though this image has a certification). Also, I'm not fluent in Italian so I'm not sure if they plan on mailing this to me as well as having emailed me. Anyone familiar with how comuni typically do this?

Thanks for any assistance.
Eric
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Birth Certificate

Postby JJ313 » 16 May 2012, 15:18

It is difficult to say as each comune does their own thing so to speak. You should get a certified original document. What did they say in their email? You may want to send them a letter with a envelope per-addressed and posted and request a paper copy.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ericderrico » 16 May 2012, 15:31

thanks JJ313 I'll do that
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scraig32 » 16 May 2012, 21:55

Hi Eric- I want to send off for my GGF's birth certificate as well from Italy. May I ask a few questions? First, how did you find the address of where to send your request? (my GGF was born in Naples) Also, did you include any money in your request for copies? If so, did you send it in euros? Also, I do not speak Italian but your letter looks like just what I need. May I "borrow" it? Thank you for any information you can provide. Suzanne
scraig32
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mler » 16 May 2012, 22:33

Yours looks exactly like the one I received for my grandfather.

This is the address I used to obtain my own bc from Napoli:

Comune di Napoli
Servizio Correspondenza Valori
Il traverso privata, Parco Quadrifoglio
C.A.P. 80162
Italy

Maybe it will work for you.
mler
Master
Master

Postby ericderrico » 16 May 2012, 23:19

scraig32 wrote:Hi Eric- I want to send off for my GGF's birth certificate as well from Italy. May I ask a few questions? First, how did you find the address of where to send your request? (my GGF was born in Naples) Also, did you include any money in your request for copies? If so, did you send it in euros? Also, I do not speak Italian but your letter looks like just what I need. May I "borrow" it? Thank you for any information you can provide. Suzanne

Suzanne,

Try this website: http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp I used it to generate my form. I do know a little Italian and coupled with Google Translate I was able to write the additional lines I needed. Assuming your situation isn't as complicated as mine, the standard form on the link provided should do nicely.

Also, per the advice of this website I didn't send any money but the form does make the notation that if they want money they need to ask for it and how much. However, with my birth certificate they just sent me the pdf via email right away.

Eric
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scraig32 » 16 May 2012, 23:51

Thank you all so much! I will use all of the information that you have provided. I am very excited and pray for a response.
scraig32
Veteran
Veteran

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship