*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Advice for newbie

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Advice for newbie

Postby Palmah » 23 May 2012, 19:26

I am currently trying to gain Italian citizenship (Jure Sanguinis) through my grandfather on my father's side and would appreciate some advice. Documentation that I can find so far is sketchy. So far I have found:

1. Ellis Island ship manifest showing my grandfather arrived in the US in 1909.
2. His WWI draft card,
3. His marriage certificate dated 1920
4. My father’s birth certificate dated 1925
5. the 1930 census,
6. His Dept of Justice Alien Registration Identification Card (original)
7. His WWII draft card.
8. Social Security Death Index1968

I know I need to get his birth record from Italy and his death certificate from New York City, amongst other things.

I need advice with the following:

The 1930 census shows PA under naturalization, which means he had submitted his first papers for naturalization but was not yet a citizen. I assume he never completed the process because he had an alien registration identification card dated 1942 (which indicates he was an Italian citizen). Since my father was born in 1925 can I assume Jure Sanuinis is valid?

Also, the 1930 census also shows he was a veteran of WWI. I read on another forum that people have been denied citizenship because service in the US Army during WWII. Would this also apply to WWI, do I have a problem? Interesting enough while I was growing up no mention was made that he ever served, and my mother says he must have lied. I am not sure how to ascertain if he ever served since WWI records are almost nonexistent.

Thanks in advance, Palma
Palmah

Re: Advice for newbie

Postby KarenChristino » 24 May 2012, 18:33

Palma,

The Alien Registration card from 1942 is proof that he did not naturalize -- he was an alien at that time according to the federal government. Since your father was born before 1942 I believe you should be eligible. They Consulate will probably want a certified copy.

My GGF also applied for U.S. citizenship but never completed it. I did not even present the Consulate with that document or information. It doesn't really matter and could only potentially complicate things. I just presented the information to show that he never naturalized.

If you want to check out whether your GF served in WWI, you should be able to get a copy of his draft registration card from NARA (those records still exist). You can do a search on Ancestry.com first and see if anything turns up. I found my GF's WWI draft registration card although he used a slightly different name in the army.

Karen
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Advice for newbie

Postby mrusso » 24 May 2012, 21:28

I found on ancestry.com my grandfather's citizenship papers what was interesting was what it said about him serving in the US Army WW1 and there was a special act that let them become citizens. If you send me your email address I will send you a copy so you can read it. my email is montauk48@comcast.net I hope this will help you Linda
mrusso

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship